Lawn vac motor tune-up

The 4 hp Briggs on the PeCo lawn vac didn't want to start today. Replaced the old NGK with a new Champion and got her running. But noticed the air filter is a little cruddy so I'll replace that too. And the recoil starter doesn't always want to engage so I'll pull off the cover, clean it out, and spray a little lubricant in there. It's us against the leaves.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Dig in Sarge! They're bombarding us here!

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I have a tarp full of mulched leaves right now. Left the tarp open so the rain will wet them tonight - then I'll button it up and take it out to my compost pile tomorrow afternoon.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

got the tool because of the optional vacuum attachment. made a quick way to get leaves out of a flower bed without disturbing the mulch. I thought it would vacuum the leaves up and fill the shoulder bag. I vacuumed and vacuumed enough leaves to fill the bag three times and deciding something was strange I stopped, opened the bag and to my complete delight found the leaves had been shredded into tiny pieces.

later when trimming the new growth off a hedge I found out the tool will vacuum and shred those trimmings also.

funny to me how the sales person made no mention of how the tool would shred.

Reply to
Jim Ledford

Yup, leaf vacs are quite handy, especially for mulched beds. Even better if you compost. They've already got a nice headstart, size-wise. =) Mine mulches them 10x. I'm sure that's what yours is, too.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

tried the process out this morning and it worked so well I thought I'd share.

vacuumed leaves off the lawn this morning with the riding lawn mower baggier attachment. the blades on the rider do a slight shred on the leaves with not a whole lot of reduction in volume though they do a fine job of capturing and placing them in the bag. then using the Stihl BG85D vacuum shredder attachment the leaves were vacuumed from the mower bag and shredded again reducing them by at least a 14x ratio. the result was a finely ground product that ended up being spread over the garden and then cut into the ground.

if you've got the equipment, you've got to give this a try.

best, Jim

Reply to
Jim Ledford

Be careful. It's just like when you get your first powerwasher. EVERYTHING gets power-washed. Then you look around, and there's nothing left to blast.

*That's* when the severe depression sets in. Wait 'till you start blowing the leaves out of trees, 'cause you don't want to wait for them to fall, just so you can vacuum them up. =P

Glad it works for ya, man.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly