Lawn decision

I just had to have a new septic system put in and the process "touched" a solid 10,000 sq ft of the property between truck damage, piles, etc... They put a nice layer of screened loam down on top of all of it and raked it out and so now I'm trying to determine best course of action. Trees are starting to put leaves down but that flow rate isn't too high yet. Soon though. It's cooler too. What do people suggest here? Cover it with a rapidly establishing junk grass and do it right next year? Hydroseed now and pray it takes? At the right time of year, I know enough to do the job right but now with leaves and dropping temps, I'm unsure. I'm open to the full range... I just hate doing things twice. Thanks.
Mike

Oh yes.. forgot to mention, Western Mass. Thanks.
Mike

It's too late to establish a lawn from seed in your area. Sod is still an option. If erosion isn't going to be a problem and you don't care what it looks like, you could leave it till spring. If not, the other alternative is annual rye grass. It's the fastest growing grass, and only survives for one season, so you can seed again in the spring with the desired grass.

I did the "annual" rye grass 2 years ago in a garden area. I still can't get rid of it - and I've plowed it under twice.

Sow some winter wheat and nuke it next spring with Roundup before planting your desired grass.
Unless its on your front lawn or something, I would just get some cheap bales of mulch hay and cover the soil to prevent erosion and then do it right in the spring. It is just too late in the season. You could get some kind of quick annual grass going if you wanted but it would just get in your way in the spring. I have projects that also require another month or two of summer but frigging winter is coming despite all of my objections. Does every year.
Take a look and see how deep below the surface the septic tank is. If it is shallow, then it would be a good time to mix in a large bag of peat moss with the soil so the thing doesnt brown out on you in the summer.
Dennis

Watch your language, there are ladies reading this.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Steveo wrote:

Ditto on that one, ya bunch o' bastards.