John Deere 140 Tractor Is it worth it?

A guy near me is selling a Johne Deere 140 14hp Kohler lawn tractor. He said it was an earlier model 72, or 73 he guessed. Comes with the 46 in. Deck and the Snow blower attachement. Everything is hyrdostatic on it and it has tire chains and brand new front wheels. He is asking $950 for it. Does this seem like a good deal? He said he doesn't need it anymore because he moved. TIA, Adam
On 2/23/04 2:34 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Adam"

We've had our Deere for 11+ years. Runs like a top. I can't say on the price - that deck sounds huge!
Cheryl
snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (Adam) wrote:

The Kohler engine is a very good engine if it was maintained properly. Look at the oil and you can get an idea of how well it was maintained. If the oil is black and thick like molasses, that is bad. If it is translucent and runs, it was changed recently and hopefully was changed regularly in the past.
The John Deere's are highly rated. The are considered the most reliable. And, they have the best TV ads. What more could you want ;)
A 14HP engine is not very powerful for that big of a mower. That will put more wear on the engine and if you have hills and mow tall grass, you may have to go very slow. More conventional combinations mower/HP combinations are:
38 inch - 14 to 16 HP 42 inch - 16 to 18 HP 48 inch - 20 to 22 HP
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Standard reply:
Brand new JD L-110 is $1799.00 w/2 year warranty, 17.5 hp Kohler, 46" deck, Hydrostat, w/cruise control, spin on oil filter, automotive style adjustable seat, fuel sight gage, hr. meter., deep domed double dipped deck, 18" turning radius, Dana rear end, will operate snow thrower on front also, Rated in top 3 in consumer reports.....Go the distance....No interest, no payments till 2005 at Home Depot................................................... On the other note, guy has something for sale because he moved? Tractor poops out in 15 days, no recourse??? Hmmmm...Not so good deal?

deck,
adjustable
To be fair you'd have to include the price of the snow blower in the above since that is included in his $950 price.
I agree the engine sounds a little lite for that deck. I run the LX173 15hp with a 42" deck and it has trouble going through thick grass.
On a side note if I was going to buy a brand new mower I'd look at ZTR's unless I planned on other attachments or towing a cart.
--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

The dealer can probably answer that question better than we can.
Spook
The snowblower won't fit because JD changes the implement attachment every so many years, so if you do buy the old one, make sure it has everything you want, because finding other implements that fit will be hard (can't just go to the dealer and order one). That being said, the JD they sell at Home Depot are not the same quality you will get from a JD dealer. If you go with a new one, plan to spend close to a grand to get a snowthrower attachment, plus the wheel weights and chains. Myself, I'd make him an offer of $750 and see if he takes it or you end up somewhere in the middle. If it's in good condition, I'd trust the old machine a lot more than the junk that Home Depot sells.

also,
no
Tractor
above