Help - Replacement Craftsman mower deck

Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25 years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie: rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower? I'd pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used decks of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I have already. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Carley Simon

Try mower repair shops in your area or cruise for tossed out mowers on garbage day.

Reply to
Doug G

I haven't seen any decks for 25 yo Craftsman mowers for sale in here recently - but then I wouldn't expect to. The last time I priced a replacement deck for a Wheelhorse it was over $600 and that was 10 years ago. So new mower is the economy way to go. "Craftsman" is a Sears brand - why don't you ask them ? I doubt if they still list parts for a 25 yo machine though.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Is this a walk behind, a rider, or a tractor? If it's a walk behind just buy a new one. If it's a rider then it was probably made by Murray and the deck shell should still be available. Probably cannot get the complete assembly so you'd need to strip yours first to see what is re-usable if anything. If you have the buy the shell, the spindle and all the linkages and springs it can get a bit expensive. If it's a tractor, well then ... I don't know.

Get the model number and call Sears. You might want to call twice, dealing with Sears is like calling the IRS for tax advice. Sometimes you get the right answer, sometimes you don't.

Reply to
Art

I used to live in the Catskills of New York State and used parts are readily available up that way. You could also try looking at

and type in lawn equiptment and see what is available. In New York's Catskill region in the town of Liberty on Route 52 between Liberty and Loch Sheldrake there is a small and I mean small tractor repair shop and he sells used parts. Another small engine shop is Rogers small engines I cannot recollect the address but you can find it in
and type in either the name or subject which is small engines or tractors. She has a back yard full of old tractors and perhaps she will be what you need if you live near NY.

Reply to
Auto Tech

you could post a wanted ad at no cost on your local craigslist.com

Reply to
digitalmaster

it is actually

digitalmaster