Getting grass to grow on new lot

Hi all, I just bought a 5 acre lot in the Columbus ohio area. Right now the ground is covered with weeds and I was wondering the best way to get some nice grass to grow. Any thoughts are appreciated
thx, dm
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dnmccoy) wrote:

Hi dnmccoy, 5 acre's ay? That's a big area to seed at one time, is it graded already or is it still rough?
(dnmccoy) wrote:

Its rough but it dosnt have much of a roll to it. Its pretty flat except for one corner which is maybe 6-9" higher
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dnmccoy) wrote:

I suggest you look into a roundup application followed by having someone rock-hound and grade your soil. After that you'll need at least 350 lbs of a good seed blend and tons of straw.
Now is the time to get busy..Fall is perfect for doing that.

Addendum ^^^ that's per acre.

Wow, don't you still need to water twice daily after the seed and straw is spread. Might want to get a means setup for irrigation in place as well.
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *************** Our Newest Site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com (Medical Staffing) ***********************************************************
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

It wouldn't hurt but irrigating 220,000 sg ft is real tough. If there is -one- month to get away without having to put down water it would be September here in Ohio. He better be doing the roundup RIGHT NOW.
--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.

(dnmccoy) wrote:

So youd just recomend using the roundup to kill the weeds then seed during sept?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dnmccoy) wrote:

Yes! Do the rounup ASAP on a day with no rain. Do you have the means to treat 5 acres with a liquid application?
--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.

(dnmccoy) wrote:

no Id just be using a sprayer. Im not sure Ill be doing the whole lot yet, I may be putting a pond in:)
(dnmccoy) wrote:

Im just going to use a sprayer. I might not do all 5 acres, as I may be putting a pond in:)
Hello, if you want a fast stand use some urea it is pure nitrogen . I would say about 30 # per acre . just my 2 cents but it wouldn't hurt to do a soil sample to see if it is starved for nutrients.
dnmccoy wrote:

Was there a lawn there at one time? If so then just wackin' the weeds may be enough to create a lawn again.
Peter H