Gas Trimmer - String problems

I have never mastered the string dispensing part of weed wackers. If I double wrap "SplitLine" the string, the string tends to slip in the holes on one side and eventually bind the spool of string. My best results seem to be with single wound "Single Line" stringing it. Even there, though the string still has a tendency to slip in the eyelets of the outer spool and render itself useless unless I take the inner spool off and reinsert the string in the eyelet. Any ways to keep the string from slipping back through the eyelet(s)? I know the proper way of wrapping for double wrapping - keeping the two threads separate with your thumb. Doesn't seem to matter. One thread always seems to slip back into the eyelet. My weed wacker is a Bolens BL 100. Anyone have any ideas?

on one of those plastic blades on mine. Don't remember the name of it though, but it works real good. I also had a small underpowered weedeater that wouldn't turn the balde, but would turn a universal string attachment from Wal-mart. It is just a hub with clips for string. You put the string in the locks and when it's gone, you just put in another piece.
Those are too expensive for how much weed wacking I do. My wife has used those plastic blades, and she says they break. Anyone agree / disagree? We do heavy duty weed wacking with a good bit of area to weed wack b/c of a lot of fencing. Anyone else master the traditional weed wacking method?

On 8/14/2005 8:28 PM US(ET), Brian White took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I got tired of taking the reel head apart in the middle of a trimming job to unjam string, so I bought a Kwikloader head for my Homelite at Lowes. Cost $20. It uses 6" pieces of regular trim line. If you have a reel of replacement string, you can just cut 6" pieces off it. Takes less than 10 seconds to replace the string when it wears out.

--
Bill

about 100 ft from where I was working. The blade set came with extra blades but I returned to using what is marketed as "Mean String". I have no problems re-stringing a spool, I do have problems with dangerous debris flying around.
Where did you purchase the "Mean String"? Is that different from Kwik Loader where you replace the inner spool and attach pieces of string to the "Kwik Loader" spool?

On 8/16/2005 5:56 PM US(ET), Brian White took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Trimmer string comes in various shapes. Round, square, and other multi sided types. Mean string is string that has a hexagonal shape (6 sides).

--
Bill