Exmark Squeeks

I have an Exmark Metro 17hp walk behind mower. I'm having a problem with the wheels squeeking. It doesn't sqeek when I start mowing but after about a half hour or so, it starts a loud metal-on-metal squeeking sound that drives me nuts. I've taken off the wheels and lubricated the axles (what a dumb place to put the grease connection), but that doesn't help. It seems to have something to do with the brakes but I'm not sure about that.
TIA, Robert
Are the brake pads worn out? Brakes make a tell tale squeking sound when they are worn out. They also make that sound when they are dirth and full of brake dust.

adjust the band brakes on the drive wheels. a fairly common complaint on these. Chip

does the same thing, and I would love to stop it! Otherwise, great mower in my opinion. -- Off to ride the mountains, D H Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.