Eating our Holly Bushes

I didn't think any wildlife would mess with holly bushes - but guess what !! Some little devil has started nibbling away - first the berries and then the leaves. Finally identified the culprits -- wild turkeys. Nor sure if they have cast iron stomachs or are just dumb.

Actually they are just hungry. At this time of the year there's not much left to eat. Your hollys are near the bottom of their list.

Hollys are sticky and prickly and even poisonous to some - shouldn't be on anybody's list.

I know. Holly is not on my list fursure. I get turkeys in my yard occasionally and they always do something bad.

Both of your assumptions are correct. They are dumb, and can stomach about anything.
--
Jonny

The deer here in NJ eat some of my small hollies. Last winter they stripped some so bad I wondered if they would survive. This only happens when it's a hard winter, as it's not their preferred food.
The Deer here in West Central are out of hand. They eat everything. You can't plant new trees without them eating about of them. The DNR protects them except where they are eating the young trees in the State Parks and then they have special hunts to get rid of them. I guess there trees are better than mine.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley