Do finches eat the entire nijer seed or just the shell?

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the outer shell?

Finches are well equiped to crack open seeds. It's not a case of somehow.
Chas Hurst wrote:

I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.
I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split them open and discard the shell.

Then you're oblivious to implication.
Chas Hurst wrote:

You're going to great lengths to give the impression that you're answering the question while not overextending yourself by giving a possibily incorrect (but specific) answer.
Tony Mortadella wrote:

That's basically the reason why I was asking.
I'm wondering if the finches are just incredibly messy eaters, or are these really the shells from the nijer seeds...

I see Juncos and Doves feeding from the ground under the feeder so the finches apparently are dropping some. I suppose it's inevitable with such tiny seeds. I've also seen sock-type feeders where the mesh is a little too open and the seed falls out as the sock is jostled.
--
Tony Mortadella

Tony Mortadella;876017 Wrote:

I use some of the best pest bird control techniques to keep away bugs and birds harming my lawns.
--
cleondann

cleondann wrote:

So you want a medal or somethin?
What's that got to do with the feeding habbits of finches?