Do finches eat the entire nijer seed or just the shell?

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the outer shell?

Reply to
Bird Guy

Finches are well equiped to crack open seeds. It's not a case of somehow.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.

I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split them open and discard the shell.

Reply to
Bird Guy

Then you're oblivious to implication.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You're going to great lengths to give the impression that you're answering the question while not overextending yourself by giving a possibily incorrect (but specific) answer.

Reply to
Bird Guy

That's basically the reason why I was asking.

I'm wondering if the finches are just incredibly messy eaters, or are these really the shells from the nijer seeds...

Reply to
Bird Guy

Bird Guy wrote in :

I see Juncos and Doves feeding from the ground under the feeder so the finches apparently are dropping some. I suppose it's inevitable with such tiny seeds. I've also seen sock-type feeders where the mesh is a little too open and the seed falls out as the sock is jostled.

Reply to
Tony Mortadella

I use some of the best pest bird control techniques to keep away bugs and birds harming my lawns.

Reply to
cleondann

So you want a medal or somethin?

What's that got to do with the feeding habbits of finches?

Reply to
Bird Guy

As small as it is, a niger seed does have a shell. If you think birds aren't eating the seed because you see some on the ground, examine it more closely: you may be seeing mostly the thin niger hulls.

Reply to
Hootowl98

Facinating

Reply to