Dead Raccoon Trapped Under Deck -- What to Do?

Page 2 of 2
I had something dead under my decking. It must have been a possum. It stunk pretty bad. I happened to have several large quart bottles of Listerine. I dumped them were it seemed to smell worst and where the dogs thought it was. Smelled like a dentist's office for several days and then it went away.
Doug Kanter wrote:

yick. <G>
You wouldn't really want to kill the bacteria if you intended to let it rot.
Lovely topic.....

I have a question. Did you poison the raccoon and it died in its home? I have a family of raccoons living under my deck, was thinking about poisoning, but worried they will die under the deck. Interesting dilemma.
:) I have a question. Did you poison the raccoon and it died in its home? I :) have a family of raccoons living under my deck, was thinking about :) poisoning, but worried they will die under the deck. Interesting dilemma. :) :) :) Animals have a tendency to head home when sick, so more of a chance of dying where they are living.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Years ago when we would go coon hunting and the coon went in a ground hog hole and died we would take a length of barbed wire and bend a crank on the end. We wuld put the other end down the whole and crank the wire. The Barbs would wrap up in the fur and we could pull the coon out. That was when coons wew worth $5 and $5 was worth $5. It worked everytime.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.
I presume that the deck is at or near ground level.
Can you stick something stiff down between the boards and move it to a place where you can reach it? Piano wire is very stiff in the larger sizes. Even a piece of lattice or one of those driveway reflector posts.
Now that I'v had my say, I am new to the group searching for an answer to my sod delema. I'll continue my search.
Thanks.

Taking up a couple of deck boards (especially if they are screwed down) is not difficult.

I have a tool that is handy for such tasks. I took the 10' fiberglass pole from a bicycle flag, removed the flag, and hose clamped a hook made of some brass rod (approx 1/8") to the end. Allows me to reach into lots of places.
Personally, I would just leave it to decompose. The worst of the stench should be gone in a couple of weeks.
I wouldn't touch it--it may have died of rabies.

Drive around town until you find a guy standing on the street asking for money. Tell him to get in, you have a job for him to do. Get him to do it, then feed him lunch.

Better let him eat the lunch first.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:50:42 -0400, "Frank Rosenbaum"

Personally I don't think it will cause disease. Depressing topic but someone on the news pointed out that the dead bodies from Katrina wouldn't cause disease even if they weren't buried quickly.
It is people or animals who die from communicable diseases that are a health risk. Of course maybe you don't know what killed the raccoon.
But soon the bugs and flies will find it and eat it. When they are done, they'll leave. What part of the country are you in and how long has it been there?

The traditional substance is lime. a powder, white, I think. It's used iirc when people are afraid of contagion and there are too many bodies to bury them right away. Maybe I'm thinking of cases when cattle die. It speeds decomposition iiuc. I think you can buy it at garden stores, where it is sold to change the pH of soil iirc. Sure, don't people spread it on lawns for that reason?

To reply to my own post, it was after the tsunami in the far east that I heard some scientist on the radio say this. Then I heard someone repeat it after Katrina, that people killed by other than communicable disease are not a health hazard (for quite a while?)
can you not just remove one or two boards to get to it?
wrote:

that it is in a

have no problem

I am worried

topic but

Katrina
To reply to my own post, it was after the tsunami in the far east that I heard some scientist on the radio say this. Then I heard someone repeat it after Katrina, that people killed by other than communicable disease are not a health hazard (for quite a while?)

No more so than any other rotting carcass, no. They are, however demoralizing, so it's best to get them removed from the vicinity of the emotionally traumatized as quickly as possible.
And the longer you wait, the more gross and disgusting the process is going to be.