Craftman loss of power Model 944.600811

Hi all,

First post, really need some advice here.

I have the 22hp, 46" cut electric start lawn tractor purchased in

2000, I'm the third owner. Was cutting the lawn with the catcher on, there was a lot of stress on the mower when the drive cut-out. I suspected a slipped belt/idle pulley problem--that was not it. I pushed the thing back and checked out the transmission and made all the factory adjustments. The tranny is fine, all is at factory specs. In the process I noticed that the engine pulley (#140189) was separated into its upper and lower sections. The upper section could slide on the pulley shaft, causing the v-groove belt to wander, I initially thought this was part of the design. Now that I have eliminated all the other possibilities, I think the pulley must have separated, and that is the cause of the loss of drive. If that is correct, it amazes me that this part could separate, it appears to be made out of stamped thin metal (the idler pulleys are plastic!). Question is: Is the engine pulley a single piece, or was it meant to separate? Is this the likely cause of the problem?

Thanks,

John

PS, I also posted this in the Craftman tractor group, but it has very low activity.

Reply to
johnglca

No wonder the first two owners sold it. Did you hit a 10" stick ? No - it shouldn't split.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Am I ever gonna live that one down, It was the blades not the mower, sigh... Clark.

Reply to
Clark

The blages ? I thought it was unaminous that we decided it was the driver

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

HEH.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

yea that too. grin.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

on 9/3/2007 10:52 AM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

No, it shouldn't have separated. It was probably two pieces to begin with and spot welded together to form the pulley. Can it be removed? If so, get a new pulley, or have someone (or you) drill holes through each half and steel rivet or bolt the two halves together, or have the two halves welded together .

Reply to
willshak

I was able to remove the piece. Locked the shaft using a small pipe wrench, shaft bolt came right out, pulley practically fell off. If I had a welder I might have tried a fix, but it was unevenly worn, and a new piece is $36CDN, not to bad.

John

Reply to
johnglca