Clutch problem on Snapper Riding Mower

Can someone give me advice on my 25" cut snapper riding mower? Recently I installed the rubber portion of the clutch ( the old one was shot). I can't get enough friction with the clutch to go foward. Get this if I sit on the mower it won't go foward (reverse is fine) but if I stand to the side and put it in gear it works fine. I have tried cleaning the rubber clutch and the upper disc with starting fluid but that didn't help. I'm sure someone out there is familiar with this problem.
i think there is a spring that tensions the rubber disc to the engine plate, you may want to check the spring or related linkage, alsothe clutch adjustment. when your foots off the pedal , you should get full pressure on the disc, if it out of adjustment the pedal may be keeping the disc from fully contacting..lucas
Your problem sounds somewhat like the one I had. The drive disc attachted to the engine had moved up the shaft and let the rubber tire slip. Moving the disc back solved the problem.