cedar questions

Our local box store has a sale on five-six foot cedars and I've been kicking around the idea of replacing a fence with this plant. I don't know what type of cedar they are, but I see them everywhere (southern ON Can.) My questions, How well will this plant handle Maple tree roots. There is all day sun, but the fine/fibrous roots of the tree restrict the growth of clematis (SP). The area is fairly wet and clay. Also these plants would be two-three feet for a neighbours house. I mention that only because someone told me that the back of the plants would not fill in being close to something like a house. Mostly I'm concerned about the maple roots though, and if they can handle them. If any one can steer me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated!

When I looked at cedars for privacy a few years back I concluded that they likes better drained soil than what I have (fairly wet and clay). But I do have a few growing in a spot that is mostly slag ( remains of rock from a kiln).
dj said:

There are dozens of trees/shrubs that go by the name "cedar". They come in ALL shapes and sizes. Know the particular growth habits, nutritional/light needs, soil needs, etc. *BEFORE* you purchase ANY plants! That tree, at six-foot may look just perfect. It most likely won't /stay/ six feet tall. There are not many bigger wastes of time/money/effort than planting a tree, only to have to cut it down in 10 years, because "it's just too effin' big" for the location it was planted.

What do you mean? In a wrestling match? In checkers? A marathon? Please define: "handle".
How large is the maple? How close are you wanting to plant, next to it? What species of maple?

The shade of the tree *may* have had something to do with the Clematis' demise. ;)

Probably an accomplice, to the killing of the Clematis.

You only have a two to three foot easement, to a residential structure, from a property line, where you live? Good grief, man. That's insane.
Is your neighbor agreeable to you planting a tree that close to his house, when you don't even know how large it will be, when fully grown (and how soon it will get there)?

It'll probably grow right up and around the awning. I wouldn't worry too much about the backside. I suppose he'll be alright with that. *shrug*

I'm still a bit off about this whole "handle" business, sorry. I would be more worried about damaging the maple, by digging a bunch of holes in it's root system. Is that what you're asking?

Perhaps speaking with your neighbor, and telling them of this little scheme you've been cooking up, would be a good start. =)
--

Eggs

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
One other data point about making a fence out of trees/shrubs. Lots of folks around here do that, and all is well for a few years, until one of the trees in the middle dies. Then there is a hole that can't ever really be matched up. Arborvitae is the species of choice for doing that, and I've heard them called "cedar" (along with some types of Yew) - they do look fairly similar.
But, as said before, make sure you know what you're getting, how the nursery thinks they'll do in that soil with competition from Maples, etc. And, HOW BIG THEY WILL GET over how long a time. A previous owner of my house loved Canadian Hemlocks, as do I. However, the two really beautiful specimens he planted are a mere 8' from the house. At least they were when planted. Now they are about 1' from the house. IN anouther couple of years, they're going to be chainsawed away from the house :-(