Birch tree question

I have a spot in my back yard which has a white birch tree. The lower portion of the tree is starting to grow leaves, but the upper portion has none. Does this mean the tree is dying? Is there anything I can to save the tree? It is a young tree (about 10' tall) and in a area which has a good ammount of moisture.
Thanks

the
Your tree is almost certainly infected with an insect called the bronze birch borer. You can apply insecticide to kill the insects and their larva, but you may be too late if significant damage has occurred. If you have to replant, and you're partial to birch, look for a variety that is resistant to the insect.
I live in the upper midwest. Very cold winters, are they prominant in these areas?

has
larva,
I don't know. You'll have to ask around in your area. I lost a birch tree to the same thing, but not that far north. I replanted with a different tree, but I found out later some varieties of birch are resistant.

save
good
resistant