better pic of weed and Shamrock

Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera. Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/lawn/weed_shamrock.JPG
The roots on these critters are approx 4" to the green above ground section. Small, pointy leaves, and it seems these grow in clumps or send out runners.
It wasn't easy getting this out in one piece, only because we had an inch of rain last night.
As for that shamrock, lots of them also but not where the weed is growing. The weed takes over, no grass, no shamrock, not even dandelions.
Each spring I do 'pre-emergent' but that doesn't effect these guys.
If this stuff was 'smokeable', I'd be able to afford a better camera.

Lint from your navel makes a handy fire starter. Warning: Remove lint from

Steveo said:

Ya, really a lot like it. But speedwell should be dead now. It's been too hot all over the country. Too bad there's no older leaves on the example (to see if they're "toothed"), or flowers (to see if they're 4-petaled and some shade of blue/violet).
Either way, I've always known speedwell to pop up in late winter, and be dead and gone by the time it gets hot out. Maybe Jersey hasn't had the heat wave until now?
--
Eggs

-A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

hardens off during the dog days of summer, sorta like spotted spurge does. It's a boarder encroacher for the most part. (curbs and such)
Steveo said:

Really! Ok, learned enough for one day. I need a nap, now. =)
--
Eggs
-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I went and looked at a picture of speedwell, http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/speddwell5319.html
The weed in my lawn is not like that. It's been 94+ for days, and this stuff hasn't suffered at all. In fact, from spring through snow cover, this stuff always stays green and hardy looking. (that's why I'm sure it's a week, can't kill, hard to pull out of the ground) LOL
No, the small narrow leaves are not 'toothed'. They have smooth.
And no flowers.

FireBrick said:

Apparantly, there's a flavor that's hardy in the summer.

Heh. Yup, that's a sure-fire sign. =)

The smaller leaves on speedwell are smooth, but check the oldest leaves (nearest the roots).

That's quite possible, if it's being mowed all of the time. You'd have to find a specimen that was allowed to mature, perhaps behind something. *shrug* In any case, a broadleaf killer should take it out, but as has been pointed out, it's not really a good time weather-wise, to treat your lawn.
--
Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?