Best preemergent for my lawn?

I'm still learning so if you can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.
I have a lawn care chemical company that takes care of my sodded areas, but he said it would be too expensive for me to use his service for the rest of my sparcely grassed yard. He just sprays fertilizer or pre-emergent or what ever is needed every 4 - 6 weeks. Anyone got a recommendation for what I can buy for the other 1/2 acre I'd like to limit weed growth this year.
Also, is there a program I might follow throughout the year.
I live in Atlanta, GA.
Thanks,

Dimension may be a consideration for your pre-e concerns. You're quite a bit south of me tho so take it fwiw.
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

but you like working on the south central regions of men, moparhoLICK

There's an old addage that goes something like this: Any spot of dirt will grow something - it will either be something you want or something you don't want.
The moral being quit fighting what you don't want and plant what you want. Quit spending money on herbicides and plant grass!
Red
Hey Red,
Did it ever occur to you that I have planted grass? Aerated and seeded last fall. This yard has been a work in progress for 2 years and it's been aerated and seeded yearly. Now I'd like to prevent weeds from coming in.
Thanks so much for your helpful comments.
*asshole!*

Red has a valid point. You stated that you have a yard area that is sparsely populated with grass. That's an open invitation to weeds. The most important aspect of weed control is having grass that is thick and dense, so most weeds can't get established in the first place. Then you can use a pre-emergent in Spring to prevent crabgrass and do some spot weed control as needed. If you don't have decent turf established, you're going to be constantly battling weeds and when the weeds are taken care of, then you'll be looking at bare spots.