bare spots

My Lawn is doing well this year except for a few bare spots on the southern edge where the water collects in a runoff between the neighbor and my lawn. I've had some success just spot planting with seed and some topsoil but is there a better way to go or am I on hands and knees til the spots are all filled? There also used to be a tree on that side which the previous owners took down 3 years ago. So im told. only been here 2 seasons now

Reply to
Don P

Hi Don,

If you've only been trying to establish your lawn for two years, I'd say you're doing GREAT! Most lawn will take a few growing seasons before they start to look really good... I don't know what the site looks like (with the tree gone) or even where you live (zone)....

It sounds to me that you really know what you're doing, and you know all about the "have-the-soil-tested mumbo-jumbo" (so, I wont get into that).

I'd say 'keep up the good work' for now, because of the season (Spring-time USA). Maybe this summer things will change for the better... and then there's the FALL (best time for planting new grass seed).

HOWEVER, the one thing I've leaned over the years is... sometime, it's best for Mother Nature to take her course. Maybe after next year, IF the site STILL doesn't look as if you'd like it to... possibly add in a dry stone bed (creek)... or some water-loving plants.

Best of luck, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

I live in southern new jersey (not sure of the zone) I've tried to just put in use old methods my Dad taught me when he was living, He told me to just work at it and Mother nature will take over eventually. Is soil testing really that important? In the spot where the tree was the only traces of where it was are what looks like the root system near the surface but when I dig in those spots nothing is there anymore, so I guess I'll take the advice and just wait and see what turns out. Thanks for the help Dave

Reply to
Don P

Yeah, soil testing is important, because there really is no other way of knowing what the soil is like for planting (at least, I don't know of any other way).

If the soil is just right, with proper sun/shade and moisture, the grass should grow with no problem. In other words, take care of the soil and let God do the rest.

Best wishes, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey