1973 JD 110 lawn tractor

Recently disassembled said machine for painting and service. Removed rear end and drained oil, refilled, painted and reinstalled. No problems with rear-end prior to this whole operation. Upon installation and test, things locked up, no reverse (makes a grinding clicking noise). Other gears work, but still a grinding clicking noise and I can see the shaft from the belt drive pulley moving around quite a bit.

Before I tear this thing apart, any ideas what could have happened? I have a lot of experience taking things apart, and I've never seen anything like this happen.

Anyone ever take one of these things apart? Anything I should be aware of (like things flying apart)? Didn't find any other ng to post this on so hopefully this is the right one..

TIA Mike

Reply to
Michael Keefe

I've got a JD 110 about that vintage but everything is still intack - never been apart. Is here a linkage under there or does the shift lever go directly in to the unit ? Or do you think something inside got dislodged when you tipped it upside down ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Just cheked my manuals. Mine was originally purchased 5/14/73. How about that. The manual gives a lot of maintenance / fixit info but when it comes to the tranny it just says, "Because special tools are required, it is not recommended that you service or dismantle any part of the transmission."

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

On 6/6/06 10:02 PM, in article atqhg.140789$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, "Srgnt Billko" spewed forth this gibberish...

Couldn't think about it anymore so I tore into the unit. Many pieces of things fell out, some intact, some not.. Don't know what caused the whole thing to self destruct but it's definitely garbage now.. Even if it wasn't broke I doubt I could get it all back together.. Thanks for responding..

Reply to
Michael Keefe