Trane XB 1000 5 ton

I have a chance to obtain a Trane XB1000 5 ton (1999 install) that has about 3 months use on it. Since it is from a family property it will be at no cost to me except professional removal and install. It was a very quiet unit and the Climatuff compressor from that era is supposed to be very good. It is only 10 SEER. Does it make sense to do this or would it be better to get a new Trane 15 - 16 SEER. The coil with it is horizontal Is it like that it could be used in a vertical install. The house is to be torn down soon so the unit will likely be demolished if I don't take it.

Thanks Al

Reply to
AL

SEER and savings is directly connected to the area in which you live.

Pay to have it removed and installed... or take money to have it removed and put it towards a new unit, which would be covered by a warranty and then have it installed. Don't forget the extra savings on operational costs. More importantly, is the used unit even the correct size???

BTW, If it's a 22 unit... they are being phased out of production (2010). Also the refrigerant is getting more and more costly.

Reply to
KJPRO

If your house is similar size and climate, it could be a good savings. The several thousand dollars for new equipment could pay for a lot of electric.

As for the coil, well, one major problem is condensate drainage. I'm not sure if they are convertible. May very possibly be.

Good luck, please let us know how it works.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Al;

You would have to purchase a new coil [get a coil with a TXV]. 10 SEER isn't all that bad. It's free for cry'n out loud.. grab it, and find someone to install it.

Reply to
Zyp

And the Manual J works out the same...... Hey wait... didn't he say "house is to be torn down soon"? Nine year old system removed and re-installed from a junk house? I'm sure it's seen proper maintenance over it's almost lifetime.

There he goes with the vise grips again......

Yeah... Post that piece of the information in AHR, not here.

Reply to
Bo

The house is not a junk house in any way. It would be used where there is a 5 ton needed ( replacing a 5 ton unit ). It was maintained by a reputable company in its very limited use (about 3 months ). It has not been used in about 7 years so what is there to maintain. I am under the impression that the Climatuff compressor was probably superior to some of todays compressors. I may be wrong. Maybe Mr Bo could learn to be somewhat constructive rather than sarcastic. He may think so but my question does not require a PHD to answer. I mainly was just wondering what anyone thought of the quality of this unit. Thank you Mr Young for your helpful reply. Al

Bo wrote:

Reply to
AL

Chris (Mr Young... term used VERY lightly) is the resident hack at alt.hvac... but one thing is for sure, he's polite even if his answers are completely WRONG!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

Manual J shows I should have ~200,000 btu worth of heating and 60000 of cooling so curious what size and how many heat pumps should I put in ?

Reply to
over a barrel

One (w/ some aux heat) I wanna review your Man J calcs, it seems you might have infiltration issues (If I had a mansion on the Arctic Circle, I doubt I'd need 5 Tons & 200 Mbh heat.) But what do I know? I use (air source) HP's in MN! (I even use VFRZ & Ground Source)

goodluck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.

Reply to
geothermaljones

In my neck of the woods, that would be bas ackwards. I have a hell of a time trying to find a furnace small enough with a large enough blower drive to support the A/C.

60,000btu of cooling and the smallest furnace I can get with a 5 ton blower drive is 100,000btu.
Reply to
Noon-Air

If you're replacing a unit of same size, it should do a terrific job. While the unit is in pieces, chance to take the sheet metal off the outdoor unit and clean the coils and fins.

Sounds like a lot less expensive than buying a five ton condensing unit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Till you pay *real* costs to remove, clean and have a non-warranteed unit. But hell, you're still charging for beer money. Till it comes to little ole ladies.

Reply to
KJPRO

If I remember, Noon, you're in the south. Missipi, or Misouri? So, of course, the houses would need more cooling. NYS runs a couple weeks of hot in July and August, but some killer cold in the winter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who's drink are we talking about now? :-)

Reply to
KJPRO