Temperature alarm in thermostat ...

All, It's blowing and snowing like crazy here in Michigan!
Got home from dinner, and I found the house at 66 with thermostat set at 71. Furnace would not light, but I suspected the combustion air was restricted, which was the case (inlet capped w/ snow). Fifteen minutes later, we had heat.
My wife said she was glad I discovered this at 9PM instead of 1AM ... me too, then it hit me.
If the thermostat is set at 71, and the temperature is always maintained between, say, 69 and 71, then anytime the house temperature falls to 68 (let alone 66), it would be abnormal. Is there such thing as a thermostat with a low (or high) temperature alarm that is some offset from the setpoint (e.g. +/- 3 degress)?
Take care, Chris
Be a piece of cake to make one. Take a t-stat. I'd use a digital. Wire it to a relay to any sort of electric bell, buzzer or whatever. Set the t-stat to whatever temp you want it to alarm.

--
The first step to making a dream come
true is to wake up

You sure your pvc pipes are terminated properly? Bubba

Yes it's called an alarm company. They install their own stat and monitor your house for you when your gone away, vacation ect...
Why would you need an alarm in your thermostat? Isn't it fairly obvious when there is no heat?
-Canadian Heat
Bubba, Intake was turned down with 90 and bird screen (which capped over with snow). Exhaust was straight out.
Canadian Heat, In short, no, it is not obvious. If there is no heat at bedtime when it is 0 outside (which was nearly the situation when I posted), the house will get cold quick before it wakes anyone. I'd prefer to have as much notice as possible.
Steve, Good thought ... thanks for sharing.

Not a bad idea. I have not seen one but it should be a fairly simple enhancement to any digital thermostat. A little piezo buzzer that beeps when the unit is on but the air temp has deviated from the setting by more than x degrees. It would alert you that the unit was not working properly. Suggest it to some thermostat manufacturers.