soot in heat exchanger

Hello Group, Problem my sister had my brother install new gas forced air furnace. He didnt convert it to natural gas, it would work for several hours as needed then kick off and need to be reset. While trying to keep it running he realized his mistake after 3-4 days. He then converted it and it ran as it should for about a day and a half. My sister then called a tech in to check it. The heating tech says it is ruined and that a new heat exchanger is $80.00 less than a new furnace. He states the exchanger can not be cleaned. Sorry I don't have the furnace name or information except it is 90% efficent. If it matters I can get the information. I just don't want my sister to get burned. Located in the beutiful fingerlakes area of central NY. Thanks in advance for any information.

Michael snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ( computer tech not hvac )

Reply to
ovidtech1

Her first mistake... if he's not qualified to do so... which later in this post you verify he's not.

Second mistake, for purchasing a USED unit.

Third mistake, for letting him continue to mess with something he's not qualified for.

That's bullshit, but it wouldn't be very cost effective.

Too late...

Now ask her how it feels to be screwed by her brother... when all she was doing was trying to save money.

Reply to
<kjpro

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Get the brother to do it....

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Ouch. Harsh people. Maybe deserved.I&#39;ll pass it on to my brother

I agree my brother should not have done it. A little late now. Original thought. Can heat exchangers be "blown out" or cleaned. I respect the pros that do this for a living and would not attempt this installation on my own, and would appreciate a professionals opinion. I realize I supplied incomplete information on the furnace and a correct answear may not be possible. Thank You. Michael

Reply to
ovidtech1

Sounds to me like your sister got exactly what she paid for. No more, no less. If the heat exchanger is indeed ruined there may only be an $80 difference as the heat exchanger would not be covered under warranty do the the mis-use and abuse it received from your brother. Thats not covered in a warranty. Maybe your sister could get her cousin to install the next one? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba