self install

Page 1 of 2
I have had my hvac unit die. The compressor has shorted out. The roof mounted unit was installed in 1976. I have had a contractor come out and his estimate was for a payne unit and did not break down the labor and unit cost. I can do the job myself but I am not having any luck in finding a supplier for a unit. The contractor that gave me an estimate told me that it was illegal for me do do an install myself? I am located in CA. The difficult part will be getting the old unit down and the new unit up on the roof. Gas heat horizontal output. My home is 1600 square feet, well insulated, 6 thermal pane windows, 2 thermal 8' doors. My calc shows me a need for 2.5ton and contractor shows 3 ton unit needed. Where can I look and find a unit to purchase? What can I expect to pay for a 2.5 or 3 ton unit,

Look up your ass you tight son-of-a-bitch. Maybe then it'll be free.

Yes a well thought out reply, Not looking for a free one just looking to buy one and install it myself, There is very little a contractor can do that I can not do. As it is I do my own building, electrical, pluming, mechanic work. In the last 40yrs I have hired one contractor to do a 1000' addition. I fired him after 6 months and no work by him, did it myself, including the electrical, and pluming. Took my car to a mechanic and ended up doing the work myself. Yes maybe tight but why pay for the labor when I can do it.

Pluming? Is that the present tense of "I did such a hack job of installing my sewer lines that I get a plume of sewage down my driveway every time I flush"?

Ok so lets see the job I did was inspected by the inspectors as required. Why is it that people such as you can not comprehend that it does not take a licenses to do a job.
This group tends to be a bit touchy because there are so many hacks and people looking for something for free out there, and they have to fix the hacks work...
As an inspector who sees the stuff they have to fix, I often agree with them...but it does get old...
That said... HVAC work requires some very special training and tools to do PROPERLY.
I am sure you can rent some of the tools, but if used improperly that can be a hazzard to you AND the enviornment besides being very illegal in many different ways. CA has some of the stricter rules on Freon capture, recycling and sales. Anyone who buys/sells/recycles or otherwise trades in a refrigeration unit to someone without the propper credentials is probably risking a Big fine and or possibly their own licence.
Ok.. Next is the replacement of an "achient" unit... it will probably need some "conversion" duct work, so electrical work, and some plumbing (drain) work. All of those are licenced trades. Wiring in a few circuits is not the same as wiring a 50A 220 circuit... duct work needs to be verified, and most people don't have the tools to do it, and lastly plumbing...yes it only goes downhill, and it ain't all water, but there is more to it to make it safe and make it last, and not leak, or your roof leak. Did we mention roof work.
My suggestion is that you call SEVERAL contractors and ask for detailed proposals and references and credentials and associations OF THE PERSON WHO IS GOING TO DO THE WORK. So many times a company will have one master HVAC tech "on staff" but most of the work is done by hacks... same for electricians in an HVAC company.
Be prepared mentally to pay for the expertese that the GOOD contractors bring on site, not to mention the tools, the licences, the training, the...
Good contractors are worth paying... bad contractors should be put in a Room with Stormy and HateMe and a few others and the door locked... I am just a cheap as the next Zot, sometimes worse because this forum has taught me to see even more of the shortcuts that hacks take... and I ask LOTS of questions so I can learn how to maintain my systems, and what are the warning signs to call someone professional in...
Take everything said here with a grain of salt, and understand where some of them come from... and what they see and hear... and then be willing to pay a professional a professional wage.
Bob Sisson.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

jmartinez;
If you *own* your home in Sunny California [todays *Sunday* temperature in So. Cal was 115] then you are living in an expensive home.
Why would you want to violate a federal law, by venting an HCFC refrigerant in to the atmosphere just to save a couple of bucks? And then, try to purchase, without the proper credentials an HCFC refrigerant?
Wouldn't you want your air condenser installed by a professionally trained, licensed, insured and bonded company? Wouldn't you want the equipment to perform at it's best and reduce your electrical consumption?
Consider, this appliance is the *Single Most Expensive* piece of equipment and uses the largest amount of energy in your home. Don't you think, that you might need some fairly expensive test equipment to guarentee it's correct and proper installation? To guarentee it as efficient as it can be to reduce your monthly cost?
Or would you prefer to violate the law, install somthing that *may* work and will cost you more to operate than it should.
Call your HVAC mechanic back, and try to work out some plan. Maybe he'll give you a break. :)
--
Zyp

Add to that that the state of California also requires ductwork leakage testing.

Living in Nor Cal and they are all expensive now.

No need to vent refrigerant to air it is a not that kind of unit being removed.

My thought is that the present unit was installed and all I need to do is place a new unit that is the same configuration heating and ac in one unit, horizontal output modify the present stand if need be and form the sheet metal to direct to the ducting in place.
> Consider, this appliance is the *Single Most Expensive* piece of equipment

The unit being will be self contained and when bought new should be guaranteed to work. Many of the things you say could applied to the work I have done here such as new thermal pane windows I installed, I removed a 6' slider and put in a 10' french door, replaced a swimming pool filter and pump. Removed 400+ sq' of deck and arbor and built a steel arbor and placed cobble stone. Oh I did hire some work it was new wall to wall carpet.

I may call him back but when I get an estimate that shows NO breakdown on equipment cost and labor I get a bit concerned. In my opinion at the very least the estimate should have showed me a cost for the hvac unit, and labor also the labor should show if it included checking ducting. Which I have already checked with a infrared temp gun when ac did work, I also checked it in the winter when I was using heat.

Did the auto dealer breakout the labor cost when you bought *any* of your vehicles? How are we any different?
CLUE: We're not!
http://item.express.ebay.com/Goodman-3-1-2-ton-13-Seer-AC-Condenser-GSC130421_W0QQitemZ150058812759QQihZ005QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem

http://item.express.ebay.com/Goodman-3-1-2-ton-13-Seer-AC-Condenser-GSC130421_W0QQitemZ150058812759QQihZ005QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem
No, it's something more like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0148183831
The only warranty I see is to return unit within 14 days, WITH a 15% restocking fee.
-zero
-zero wrote:

ROFL
check out www.goodmanmfg.com
--
Zyp

The OP could just get that Goodman condensing unit from the Ebay link that was provided. Just set it on the ground and run a lineset up to the package unit. It wouldn't be the first time it's been done. Larry
lp13-30 wrote:

ROFL
--
Zyp

Does anybody have the links to some of the Goodman package unit installs from the "wall of shame"??

How many do you want? LOL

I was thinking of the goodman on top of the Trane with the flex "hoses" going through the doors on the Trane

link
Larry
installs
Hehe a classic... Or the package unit connected by flex to a siding door panel. LOL
That picture Noon is talking about is a classic. I actually EMailed it to our office and they printed it out and put it up on the wall. As I remember, assuming it is indeed the same pic, it was two smaller units sitting on top of a larger one-- maybe 2 5's sitting on a 10 or 15. Another beauty was an upflow air handler with the primary and secondary drains hooked up with copper-- traps made out of 90s etc. AND they put the same thing on the drains for horizontal left- which was at the TOP of the coil. Larry