Rheem heat pump defrost

Trying to hook up the defrost so it will energize some heat during the defrost cycle. It says run a lead from D on the heat pump to P on the air handler. Only problem is, I seen no P terminal on the air handler's circuit board.

Reply to
Injun Ear

its the purple wire on Rheem/RUUD heat pumps to energize the strips when it goes into defrost.

Reply to
Noon-Air

You misread the instructions. You can P on the air handler even without the special terminal. Just look out for splatter on your shoes.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Reply to
Injun Ear

Can't do that... My system will stink like P then. :(

Reply to
Injun Ear

Apparently you can't read a schematic?? or the installation instructions?? This is basic controls, with basic wiring. You do know that Rheem equipment RVs are energized in heat, I would hope What model heat pump?? What model of air handler are you using with it?? What control are you using with it??

Reply to
Noon-Air

The only thing the schematic shows is the heat pump end, not the air handler end. It shows a picture of the terminals, but there is no P terminal.

Rheem RPPB-036JAZ heat pump.

Rheem RBHK-24J14SHD air handler.

No> Apparently you can't read a schematic?? or the installation instructions??

Reply to
Injun Ear

Why are you putting in an R22 heat pump when in a year, R22 is going to become *VERY* scarce and *VERY* expensive??

You have already proven that you not a tech, but a home owner trying to DIY. Take a crowbar to your wallet and call a local tech that knows what he is doing.... who knows what else you might have screwed up in the process.

BTW... you do realize that the warranty on *ANY* Rheem equipment bought over the internet is null and void.

Reply to
Noon-Air
  1. This is an EXISTING heat pump that was installed in 2005.

  1. I already called the tech and he says he doesn't know anything about that and furthermore, he is too busy to fool with it. He says he has

100 calls to make on units that are out of service and. Says if my system breaks down, call him.

  1. I did not buy this system on the internet, It was installed by the above mentioned tech.

  2. It's just a simple connection. All I want is for the heat strips to kick in when the thing goes into defrost. I waited till warmer weather to do it so I wouldn't freeze my butt off trying to hook it up in the winter. I looked in the unit outside and the D terminal is already connected to the purple wire. But it ends inside the air handler without being connected to anything. I don't think it takes a highly educated tech guy to connect 1 wire.

  1. So, if R22 is go>

Reply to
Injun Ear

Call a legitmate tech, not the cheapest

then the guy is an idiot

Check the schematic for the air handler... it will tell you where it goes.

Bend over yes no

Reply to
Noon-Air

There's several years of R-22 out there, in HVAC shops and on the trucks. Enough for a while. The new R-410a, which is marketed as Puron, and some other names. Supposed to do the job nicely. It won't work in the old systems. As the price of R-22 goes up, someone is sure to develop a drop in replacement.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are already half a dozen drop in replacements in place. Check out ATOFINA's, IGC.s, ICR Intenational, and ASPEN websites.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Too bad you won't be able to get the equipment and coils for it.

Reply to
Steve

Ah, well. All the numbers. 12 went to 134a (with oil change, and new metering device). The newer equipment is designed for 134a.

22 is going to, something else. Either a drop in blend, or maybe the equipment will die by the time it's needed.

502, couple replacements. 408a comes to mind, and the new

404a with new oil and new equipment.

It's all big blur of numbers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When they stop making coils for the old stuff, by that time I'll have done several years of working on the new stuff. No worries.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

most manufactures quit making R-22 stuff last September..... My suppliers can't even get a replacement R-22 3 ton evap coil anymore.... they are not to be had.

Reply to
Steve

Can't you install an R22 metering device on a new coil? If it won't take an orifice/piston for R22, braze an expansion valve on it. Have you never converted a system over to another refrigerant? I've done a number them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
Noon-Air

I assumed he was talking about a cased coil, not putting a coil into an existing case. Good grief, I can't count the times we've had to cut out an old coil, case and all, and install a new one.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The question still remains.... with the HCFC phase-out, does the customer want to pay the almost $2,000 to replace a leaky coil, or put that money towards a new system that has a 10 year unit replacement warranty, will cut their power bills in half, and not have to worry about if the refrigerant will even be available in the next couple of years.

The whole thing is to present the customer with facts, information, and hand-outs to back up what you tell them, and let them make the decission of what they want to do, and if they opt for a new system, let them tell you what system they want you to install so its win-win. Either way, you want the customer to be happy to write that big check, and you'll be doing the happy dance all the way to the bank.

Its all about *service*, not serve-us.

Reply to
Noon-Air