Rheem heat pump defrost

Page 1 of 2
Trying to hook up the defrost so it will energize some heat during the defrost cycle. It says run a lead from D on the heat pump to P on the air handler. Only problem is, I seen no P terminal on the air handler's circuit board.
its the purple wire on Rheem/RUUD heat pumps to energize the strips when it goes into defrost.

Yes, I have a purple wire. But where does it hook up in the air handler???
Noon-Air wrote:

Apparently you can't read a schematic?? or the installation instructions?? This is basic controls, with basic wiring. You do know that Rheem equipment RVs are energized in heat, I would hope What model heat pump?? What model of air handler are you using with it?? What control are you using with it??

The only thing the schematic shows is the heat pump end, not the air handler end. It shows a picture of the terminals, but there is no P terminal.
Rheem RPPB-036JAZ heat pump.
Rheem RBHK-24J14SHD air handler.
Noon-Air wrote:

Why are you putting in an R22 heat pump when in a year, R22 is going to become *VERY* scarce and *VERY* expensive??
You have already proven that you not a tech, but a home owner trying to DIY. Take a crowbar to your wallet and call a local tech that knows what he is doing.... who knows what else you might have screwed up in the process.
BTW... you do realize that the warranty on *ANY* Rheem equipment bought over the internet is null and void.
1. This is an EXISTING heat pump that was installed in 2005.
2. I already called the tech and he says he doesn't know anything about that and furthermore, he is too busy to fool with it. He says he has 100 calls to make on units that are out of service and. Says if my system breaks down, call him.
3. I did not buy this system on the internet, It was installed by the above mentioned tech.
4. It's just a simple connection. All I want is for the heat strips to kick in when the thing goes into defrost. I waited till warmer weather to do it so I wouldn't freeze my butt off trying to hook it up in the winter. I looked in the unit outside and the D terminal is already connected to the purple wire. But it ends inside the air handler without being connected to anything. I don't think it takes a highly educated tech guy to connect 1 wire.
5. So, if R22 is going to be obsolete, what are we gonna do? Does this mean we have to buy another new unit or will there be a drop-in replacement for R22 like there was for R12 a few years ago? I used to convert R12 cars to R134A but not much need for that any more.
Noon-Air wrote:

There's several years of R-22 out there, in HVAC shops and on the trucks. Enough for a while. The new R-410a, which is marketed as Puron, and some other names. Supposed to do the job nicely. It won't work in the old systems. As the price of R-22 goes up, someone is sure to develop a drop in replacement.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are already half a dozen drop in replacements in place. Check out ATOFINA's, IGC.s, ICR Intenational, and ASPEN websites.

Too bad you won't be able to get the equipment and coils for it.

When they stop making coils for the old stuff, by that time I'll have done several years of working on the new stuff. No worries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Steve wrote:

Can't you install an R22 metering device on a new coil? If it won't take an orifice/piston for R22, braze an expansion valve on it. Have you never converted a system over to another refrigerant? I've done a number them.
TDD
Thats great if you can find a coil that will fit in a Rheem/RUUD air handler for a heat pump. I have done several conversions also, but that is a gross injustice to the customer....unless you one of the local low ballers who doesn't give a crap about anything but grab the money and run.

Noon-Air wrote:

> Thats great if you can find a coil that will fit in a Rheem/RUUD air > handler for a heat pump. > I have done several conversions also, but that is a gross injustice to > the customer....unless you one of the local low ballers who doesn't > > give > a crap about anything but grab the money and run. >
I assumed he was talking about a cased coil, not putting a coil into an existing case. Good grief, I can't count the times we've had to cut out an old coil, case and all, and install a new one.
TDD

The question still remains.... with the HCFC phase-out, does the customer want to pay the almost $2,000 to replace a leaky coil, or put that money towards a new system that has a 10 year unit replacement warranty, will cut their power bills in half, and not have to worry about if the refrigerant will even be available in the next couple of years.
The whole thing is to present the customer with facts, information, and hand-outs to back up what you tell them, and let them make the decission of what they want to do, and if they opt for a new system, let them tell you what system they want you to install so its win-win. Either way, you want the customer to be happy to write that big check, and you'll be doing the happy dance all the way to the bank.
Its all about *service*, not serve-us.
Noon-Air wrote:

Most of the folks I deal with don't have a lot of money but we'll still do the most economical and best job we can. I'll help out elderly folks every chance I get to keep someone from taking advantage of them. One outfit that was around here several years ago, particularly disgusted me when the owner bragged about selling an old couple $5,000 worth of equipment when the only problem was a loose blower door. As you know, it shut down their system. The guy laughed all the way to the bank. It's funny, you deal truthfully with people and they and their friends call you back.
TDD

Here in the Mississippi Pinebelt, we have a very high percentage of retirees. We have had a few companies like that around here... one guy got run out of town. I don't worry about whats economical to my customers or what they can afford... thats not any of my business...
I offer them "good, better, best" choices and present them with the facts, answer their questions, and let them make their own mind up.
When they ask me what I would recommend, I tell them that I am not there to influence their decission, I am only there to give them information and answer questions...its their money and their decission.
Noon-Air wrote:

In that case you are dealing with them honestly, perhaps dispassionately, but you're being professional and truthful. I can find no fault with that approach. Here in Alabamastan, we have crazy Hillbillies who have crazy Hillbilly relatives who have crazy Hillbilly children who have crazy Hillbilly dogs and if you cross granny, you'll have every damn one of then after you.
TDD