Rheem Classic 90 Plus Problem

Page 1 of 2
I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus furnace. Lately it has been shutting down, normally at night and sometimes just switching the power off then back on is enough to get it going. At other times turning the power off and on will do nothing and then the furnace will start working again on its own several hours later. We had a technician in and he checked the furnace over and said because it was intermittent he couldn't do much, cost $60.00 When the problem next appeared it was a little different in that the burners would fire up for a couple of seconds then shut down, then fire up and shut down, then the flame light would flash on the control board. I cleaned the Remote Sensor and the spark ignition and sensor and it seemed to work for about 4 days before it shut down again. Now it just tries to cycle on (no Burn) and then shuts down, keeps trying to cycle on and at some point is successful as the furnace eventually starts and runs. The other evening it shut down and it was about 40 degrees when I got up, trying to recycle the power did nothing. We called a technician right away, but he showed up 5 hours later and by then the furnace had restarted. He checked the inlet and outlet pressures which were OK and he said the air inlet pipe was slanted downward going outside. He corrected this so now it is slanted up going outside. That cost me $110.00 and the following morning the furnace had once again shut down. Recycling the power switch got it going again. The inlet pipe is 4" PVC which has one 90 degree elbow and then reduces to 2 1/2" PVC going outside, then another 90 degree elbow to bring it vertical and then another 90 degree to bring the inlet opening horizontal, total length of all piping is about 8 feet. There is a moisture hose on the 4" PVC inlet and there is water in the trap. Could wind or snow blowing into this pipe cause the above problems? Any other suggestions, it is cold up here and local technical help is limited where we live?

got a model number of the furnace?? Have you gone to www.Rheemac.com to try to find another tech that knows what he/she is doing??
We just installed a Ruud 90% ......i think a UGFD.....
In following the instructions for the venting it was really different than I have seen before. It was an 09 size furnace. We had to bump up the venting from 2" at the furnace to 3", then withing 18" of the termination it had to back down to 2" and extend straight out 12" past the wall. The inlet was I believe terminated 4" outside the wall then the same thing 3" to 2" then back into the furnace. Depending on the furnace size, it may go from 4-2.5 and back.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)
Bob Pietrangelo wrote:

Uh oh, please don't let that get around...
Bob Pietrangelo wrote:

Thank you for your insight, I got the same answer in another group. It seems for this furnace the installation instructions require that for this furnace the inlet and outlet pipes must be reduced going through the wall and outside. My furnace has been running like a charm for the last couple of days (the temperature has warmed up quite a bit) so I am going to have a Rheem installer look at the furnace to rule out any pressure switch problems and then I am going to change over to Natural Gas, I just don't like the possible problems with propane when it gets very cold. Thanks again for the information, it is nice to know there are some well informed HVAC techs out there trying to provide insighful answers.

snipped-for-privacy@adga.ca wrote

It should be 4" continuous.

This is to prevent condensation from draining back into the ventor (exhaust )motor.

It could be MANY things, but I would have a tech connect a manometer inline with the pressure switch. It may be that the pressure switch is barely making on initial firing. The problem may be related to the intake and/or exhaust piping. Also, ensure that the furnace is properly grounded.That's very important for proper flame sensing. BTW, where's the guy who installed it?
--
Respectfully, Bob

Sounds like a definite venting/drainage problem. 4" pipe? 8' run? There is a problem there. 4" is too big, unless your describing a concentric vent. Call another company, have him document the fact the furnace was not installed properly, then give all the bills to the installer.
-Canadian Heat

I knew after a period of time your posts would reveal you don't know a thing about HVAC
This is the stupidest reply I've read in months. Your a frigin hack
And you have the nerve to call Oscar names!!!
Your getting plonked pansy boy, right after I read the rest of the regulars cook your rear
Rich

Huh? What did the Eskimo-Boy call me?

. Well, he been calling all the 'pros' here fat, lazy, dumb ass Americans, and other things, but there was one link where he jumped on you over a post, someone who knows how to do a search will be able too find it. He hasn't attacked me yet, I don't really care if he does or not, regulars on this board know I'm a radical right winger and love to have fun and get the groups blood circulating, but I don't like it when newbie's come here attacking the regulars. I guess I'm indoctrinated on military comradely type thinking from military schools all my life. You don't mess with family.
Nice rant. Your an idiot! Do you have a solution to the furnace problem?
HAHA
-Canadian Heat
You call yourselves pros?
The people that come here for help don't think so. Funny you guys have given yourselves this title. Your mostly a bunch of brain dead idiots. Playing with 3 volt fuses, fan belts and ordering parts online. You call me eskimo to insult LOL Obviously I live in a more civilized place then you, and I can find parts for furnaces.
HAHAHA jokers! And geo you can take that drain hose and suck it! HAHA
-Canadian Heat

You consider me "family"?
I just got goosebumps and a warm fuzzy thinking about that....
Damn, does this mean I have to get you a card for father's day?
On 18 Feb 2007 22:27:38 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

The hole in the head opens......... and the mouth runnith over. Get a clue. Do you ever actually look before you fall on your face? DANgER the hack-boi Bubba
Snow clogging the combustion air pipes can shut down a furnace. If it's blowing in (and then the snow melts cause the pipes are indoors) that could do what you're describing.
Four inch pipe for a 8 foot run sounds a bit huge. I've seen two inch, and three if the run of pipe is very long. Might want to put an elbow on the end of the inlet PVC pipe. Angling down. Or pointing down wind. Less likely to get packed with snow. The outlet pipe is seldom a problem.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Chris, are you and Danger the same person ? I just posted how stupid that reasoning is.......
You can have a 40 foot wide intake air and it wouldn't cause this!! Heck, lets put a 300 foot wide intake on, what difference does it make. HOWEVER, reducing the size could and eventually WILL cause a shut down.
I wasn't saying this is the problem. I said it sounds wrong. He mentioned drain tubing on the 4" pipe...Does that sound like an inlet pipe moron? Sounds like a concentric vent like I said. You can't read, and your an idiot.
Thanks for wasting our time.
-Canadian Heat
On 19 Feb 2007 19:41:52 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Our? Our time? You carrying a mouse in your pocket? Who is your "OUR"? You're such a brain dead moron. Bubba
our time = my time + customers time
get it?
-Canadian Heat
On 19 Feb 2007 22:02:23 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Oh, now I see. So this customer with the 4" pipe is YOUR customer. hehehe. Nice try widget head. Cluck like a chicken for me now. Bubba