Rheem Classic 90 Plus Problem

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:45da72f0$1$18855$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Point #!, I don't care if the pipe is 300 ft wide, you don't even really have to connect the pipe up if your combustion air is ample and correctly sized to the room On discharge air their are maximums, unless you are smart enough to design it so 4" will work (I'm speaking of Trane Equipment) I have had to redo some competators installs and designed a system that the factory itself approaved using 6" pipe because we had to exceed the length of the run past the factory listed design criteria.

Point #2. It was REDUCED going outside to 2 1-2 " So the snow according to you would have a more difficult time entering the pipe. Point #3 He stated that there was a trap to collect the water ON THE SUPPLY pipe, if it worked or not; I can't see it from here. Point #4 The larger IINTAKE pipe would not be te problem with a pressure switch locking out Point #5 The poster was asked what size the discharge pipe was, we still don't know. This should give you a little direction as to what is happening here, espeicially if it too was reduced. Point #6 The homeowner stated:I cleaned the Remote Sensor and the spark ignition and sensor and it seemed to work for about 4 days before it shut down again." So, stormy, I guess its magic I presume that cleaning the sensor caused all your snow and clogged pipes to disappear? I also guess that its magic that it worked for four days after doing so and then got worse after the sensors coating, being rubbed off by the homeowner couldn't sense flame any longer? Point #7 NOT knowing where he lives I still doubt that snow on the INTAKE pipe causing a plug is very limited seeing that it was 2" going outside Point#8 I have come accross discharge pipes plugging up with ice on the opening when its -20 for extended days, but I doubt this happened here, typical when running through a cold area of over 4 feet such as an attic run, BTW, stormy, this is critical for sizing pipes, you need to insulate the vent that runs through unconditioned spaces. But this sounds like its in the conditioned space Point 9 Could be restriction in pipe, bird, 'CAT" ( sorry Paul) rat, LEAVES. Point 10 If the trap has water in it, AND its installed correctly AND if there was so much snow in such a short run he would have water indicated in the burner section Point 11, I'm not sure if Rheem has a filter screen on their intake chamber, this is a potential Point 12, the service man checked inlet and outlet pressures, never was told ON WHAT. I'm assuming the gas pressures, which is nice but more important would be the vent and make up air pressures.

So, getting back to your original statement, NO, the intake size doesn't mean anything , if its 2 1/2 or 2 inch going outside its installed wrong, period, but this would not increase the snow problem any more than running

2" all the way.

Its smart to have the vent installed correctly, and according to manufactures specs unless the manufacturer signs off as they did on the three furnaces I worked on years back

Second, checking the pressure being seen on all pressure switch's is important

Third, if theres moisture in the trap, then theres probably mositure in that pressure switch and its rusted up, I would put my chips on this

Fourth, sensors/ignitors are cheap, measure the voltage, position of sensor since the homeowner may have worked on it in the past and bent it out of the flame pattern.

Conclusion, "Its bad gas, call the gas company!"

Reply to
Geoman

If memory serves, the boiling point of propane is -44.

So, it is very possible that the low temperatures are preventing your furnace from operating. Certainly, they are lowering the pressure of the propane in the tank. Now, the question is how to keep the tank warmer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the repair manual you typed in. Guess you missed what I meant. I'll try it again, and this time I'll type REAL SLOW:

w h a t a w a s t e o f o v e r s i z e i n s t a l l a t i o n m a t e r i a l s w h e n s m a l l e r m a t e r i a l s w o u l d h a v e w o r k e d j u s t f i n e.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

RGRH-09 furnace requires 3 inch sched 40 PVC pipe, with a minimum 1/4 inch slope towards the furnace on horizontal pipe. This venting requirement applies up to 45ft pipe length with 5-6 elbows (45 or 90 degree long radius). Terminate the vent pipe in accordance with the installation manual to prevent snow from blocking the vent pipes.

Have the gas company check the lines and regulator from the propane tank to the furnace for water, proper drip legs, and regulator operation.

Reply to
Noon-Air

We just installed a Ruud 90% ......i think a UGFD.....

In following the instructions for the venting it was really different than I have seen before. It was an 09 size furnace. We had to bump up the venting from 2" at the furnace to 3", then withing 18" of the termination it had to back down to 2" and extend straight out 12" past the wall. The inlet was I believe terminated 4" outside the wall then the same thing 3" to 2" then back into the furnace. Depending on the furnace size, it may go from 4-2.5 and back.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Uh oh, please don't let that get around...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Hey smart ass, I'll just post what you typed and what I replied to:

No mention to this post that you stated it was a waste of materials, if you posted it in another post it did not come through on my end.

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your insight, I got the same answer in another group. It seems for this furnace the installation instructions require that for this furnace the inlet and outlet pipes must be reduced going through the wall and outside. My furnace has been running like a charm for the last couple of days (the temperature has warmed up quite a bit) so I am going to have a Rheem installer look at the furnace to rule out any pressure switch problems and then I am going to change over to Natural Gas, I just don't like the possible problems with propane when it gets very cold. Thanks again for the information, it is nice to know there are some well informed HVAC techs out there trying to provide insighful answers.

Reply to
bcooper

H e y S t u p i d , t r y t o u n d e r s t a n d t h i s...

You wouldn't make a pimple on geo's ass, you moron. How many times do you have to be told to STFU and stop giving advice...

Reply to
Joseph