Refrigerator not working again

Page 16 of 16
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:07:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

    Stormy, you wouldn't recognize a 'moment of reason' if one jumped up and bit you in the ass.
    Twice.
    Or three times.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com fired this volley in

He recognized what a bunch of thieves you are over in your lair.
But, then, a lot of folks knew that, so I guess that doesn't pick him out of the crowd; not for something THAT obvious.
OTOH, he seems like a totally reasonable person in contrast to your crowd.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 23, 10:29 am, Ignoramus30441 <ignoramus30...@NOSPAM. 30441.invalid> wrote:

If you do decide to toss it (as you will undoubtedly be advised by many in this group), first salvage some of the good stuff like the new parts you put in and, most importantly, the magnets in the door gaskets. Just slice 'em out with a razor blade. They're incredibly handy.
Add pictures here
✖

I was of the same mind until I clocked both old and new with a KillaWatt power meter. The old one (admittedly low on freon so working extra hard) ran 4X the kWh as the new one. That's hard to ignore. I was of the same mind as you - IIABDFI! But when the old one couldn't cool well on the hottest days anymore, I had to make a choice and I chose the simplest model in the hopes that reliability is truly inversely proportional to complexity.
Fridges are like classic cars. After 30 years, the plastic and rubber parts are heading off to Jesus, replacements aren't readily available and the patches accumulate to the point of embarrassment. One thing I like about the new one is the absence of a dimpled egg shelf. Never used it, the space was wasted and it collected all sorts of crap that had to be scooped out one $#$%% egg hole at a time.
The new fridge is much easier to clean overall and has enormous shelves built into each door. Good some ways, bad others. Grabbing creamer, condiments and the ice tea pitcher doesn't require a full door opening, which is a very large energy consumer, especially with teenagers doing a IG-level food inventory before deciding what to eat.
We did make one super-size mistake in selecting the capacity of the units. They allege to be the same cubic capacity, but the new one had it laid out in very much less friendly space. It's our fault (well, mine) because we (I) didn't think to measure the cubic space of each compartment. The new box has much less freezer space and turned out to be a biggish sort of mistake.
But now that the government says the recession is over we'll be leaving it behind when we buy our new, fairly priced, equitably taxed house in a stable neighborhood not riddled with foreclosed and empty houses. Phew!
The fridge compartment is conspicuously empty and the freezer, the reverse. It's laid out so where once we could have containers and frozen food cartons 2 deep, now it's 1.75 deep which basically means one deep. The walls are much thicker as well, but that's part of the reason it's using 1/4 the juice. We had a lot of limitations, though, in terms of getting it IN the house. We have very small doors that limited the overall size of the replacement. The two guys who did the install had to put a ratty look sling under the bottom and literally "dance" it into the house.
Will it last as long as the old box? Probably not. What does? Will I save enough money to offset the cost of buying a new one? No, but if I had replaced it when it first started getting quirky, the savings picture would be different. One thing it inspired me to do was take baseline kWh readings on the new one. Armed with that information, it might be possible to spot a problem as insidious as water-logged insulation. I'll at least have some idea what the current draw was when the machine was well to help gauge the severity of future problem. I'll bet waterlogged insulation can really jack up the kWh consumption per day. Where did the water come from?
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖