Refrigerator not working again

Page 11 of 16

Right next to the relative bearing grease.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Beware of relatives bearing grease! ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
When NYS came out with the red dye in heating kerosene. I bought some "red lantern oil" for a friend.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:18:06 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I've also heard that called the "three-pronged blivet" http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=three-pronged+blivet&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfaiand the "Mad POIUYT." http://www.flickr.com/photos/popopnits/3801814762
But "veeblefork?" That's a new one on me! ;-P
Cheers! Rich

Its closely related to, but totally different from the famed veeblefetzer.
Gunner
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:12:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I was reading a review of some computeristic trade show, and the writer was discussing some pitchdrone, who would answer all his questions very enthusiastically, with little or no information: "Yes, yes, we have all the latest features." "But, does it have ventricles?" "Yes, we keep up with all the latest technical advances!" "But, does it have ventricles in the frammistan?"
The writer says, "It was probably "frammistan" that tipped him off that I was messing with him" or some such.
But actually, the first time I heard "Frammistan" was on the "I Love Lucy" show (ca. 1950's), when Lucy and Ethel were trying to scam somebody, by impersonating the "Maharincess of Frammistan".
Or maybe "Franistan." ;-)
Cheers! Rich
It showed up again in the tv show MASH, where a general was trying to distract Blake long enough to make time with Hot Lips.
Framistat plan, was to make motor oil last 6,000 miles and then make it edible.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

a lot of the so called magic is pretty obvious and available on line - if you recall any of your thermo courses you can of course do the equations, but these devices really are pretty simple.
On 9/21/2010 11:20 PM, Bill Noble wrote:

It ain't rocket surgery. 8-)
TDD

Something tells me you'll figure it out. I see HVAC guys all the time who can't figure out how to pour piss out of a boot, yet they are HVAC guys, and by their accounts, and certificates, are damn fine ones at that.
It's just too bad that the HVAC dynasty does not give out certificates and testimonials for "parts changers."
"Lady, I don't have an idea what's wrong, but I will keep changing parts as long as your bank card clears. And if that fails, there's always the, "It needs a new compressor." Which means someone who actually knows what they are doing will be by to work on the system.
HTH
Steve

Good one, Lloyd!
Harold

\
Thanks
As a matter of fact, there was not much water (none that I could see) that came out.

If icing is the problem there is also a thermostat in series with the heating element. If that is bad the heater will not function. BTDT. Art

I tried restarting yesterday after 12-14 hours. It did not start. I will start again today, after 36 or so hours, and will see. I am not expecting much.
On Sep 21, 3:18pm, Ignoramus25344 <ignoramus25...@NOSPAM. 25344.invalid> wrote:

Friday in Illinois the tax rebate is on again for one day, and I think Best Buy is giving another 15% off, thats 30% off, you would be a fool not to get a new frige, or get a repairman and fix that dying horse.
On 09/21/2010 03:18 PM, Ignoramus25344 wrote:

Yeah, I thought this might happen!
Well, this thermistor capacitor start scheme sounds pretty crummy to me. If the power gets a short glitch, even a couple cycles of the line, that may allow the compressor to nearly stop when there is high pressure in the condenser side. Then, power comes back and the thermistor is hot, so it doesn't restart. There is a thing called a "sinpac" switch, currently manufactured by Stearns. It uses a voltage sensing chip and a triac to control the start winding. It is made as a replacement for shot centrifugal switches, but is also great on motors where such a switch can't be used, like refrigerator compressors. At least through the channels I got one a while ago, they are expensive, but I'll bet a refrigeration shop will carry them much cheaper.
There are also electronic modules, often used in the heating/cooling trade, to prevent "short-cycling". They are just wired in series with a motor, and will shut it off for some number of minutes whenever there is a power interruption.
Of course, you may just have a defective compressor, and it is slowly seizing up, and will eventually lock up for good.
I converted a central air conditioning system from capillary tube to expansion valve some years ago, and had problems with the compressor failing to start. I installed a "hard start kit" from my friendly local A/C supply shop. This was a potential relay and a BIG starting cap. It augments the run cap when starting, and greatly increases starting torque. It solved the problem. I don't know if this is the kind of problem this unit is having, and you might have to instrument it to find out what the cause is. It could be a bad compressor, it could be a bad starting system design, it could be a program problem in the computerized controller that is occasionally trying to stop and restart the compressor too quickly, it could be a mechanical timer on the defrost that has that same effect, or it could even be low line voltage or a worn-out wall socket making poor contact.
The friendly local A/C supplier isn't so friendly anymore, I have to show them my EPA "green card" to get them to sell anything to me. The trade prices on stuff just blows me away. I needed a run cap for our current A/C unit a couple years ago, showed them my green card, and got a HUGE run cap for about $7.50. I walked in there expecting to pay $50 for it.
Jon

My life experience (62 years so far) is that when refrigerators start acting up, unless it's a fix that costs less than $50, it is cheaper to dump it and get another. In today's market, nice fridges are cheap. About as much as a compressor job, and the compressor repair man has a warranty that is good until he's out of sight.
Just me.
Steve

I keep my "beer fridge" out in a roofed but not enclosed part of the barn. It rusts out completely in about four to five years. So, I replace it with another $50-$75 unit off the various lists and/or swap sheets. $20 a year isn't too much to pay for a working fridge.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I haven't bought a fridge in the last 25 years. In fact, I just picked up a free apartment or dorm sized fridge over the weekend that looks brand new. I've never bought a new microwave oven, and the most I've ever paid was $2. I have four at the moment, and I'm deciding which ones I'll keep. I've only bought two new televisions in the last 40 years. Most everything else is picked up not working and repaired.
enough left over to pay them.

Happy to see I'm not the only cheap SOB out there. At least half my appliances and home entertainment devices were either trash-picked, or came from garage sales or CraigsList. I really, really hate paying retail.
--
aem sends...