No AC functions18-5 to Tstat and an 18-2 to compressor

I have about a 3 year old Kenmore (Sears) 6 ton HVAC that was in my house when I bought it. The Thermostat was the cheapest digital I have ever seen, so I replaced it with a programmable one to save a bit on the heating and cooling. The 18-5 tstat wire was also just run on the wall and stapled and painted over, so I purchased a new wire an ran it inside the wall. I have them hooked up as follows on both ends (tstat and circuit board) r = red c = blue w = white y = yellow g = green

This worked all winter just fine, but apparently the cooling side is not functioning as I have no A/C, or even fan when in AC mode. I have verrified power to the blower and the compressor.

There is also an 18-2 lead going to the compressor's exterior power breaker from the circuit board. I believe it was hooked up as follows: c = red y = white

I have hooked it up in the same fashion to no avail. I believe the Y is to trigger the compressor and the C is a common AC trigger lead.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your response

Reply to
sprintgeek

A phone call to a local tech

Reply to
Noon-Air

A working air conditioning system?

Reply to
<kjpro

PUT OLD ONE BACK IN IT WILL WORK

Reply to
Tony

WOW! Great help! Thanks!

Has anyone seen an 18-5 to tstat and an 18-2 to the compressor comming off the same 5 lead panel?

Reply to
sprintgeek

yup... got one in my home. It works just fine, so does my A/C and heat

Reply to
Noon-Air

Is yours set up same as mine?

to tstat: r = red c = blue w = white y = yellow g = green

to compressor: c = red y = white

Reply to
sprintgeek

yup... and mine works just fine... maybe its time to call a tech....ya think??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks for verrifying. No thanks for acting like a douchebag in the process.

Reply to
sprintgeek

Additional Info: Thermostat is a Hunter model 44110 PCB on thermostat also says its model B01 063-HUNB01101L08

Compressor is a Kenmore Max Performance 10 Model HAC048AKA4

Reply to
sprintgeek

Damn you got shit all across the board!! Have you checked the breakers. Have you checked to see if there is voltage at ODU high and low. Is your contactor pulled in, how is your capacitor, you have everything wired properly low voltage wise. If you can&#39;t figure what is wrong now,, you really should&#39;t be f****ng with it.

By the way your ODU is a Heil unit with a KEnmore Sticker

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Nope, it doesn&#39;t exist!

Reply to
<kjpro

POS thermostat.

Wiring is correct.

Your system has a defective component.

Reply to
<kjpro

No, it&#39;s actually an ICP unit with a Kenmore sticker.

Reply to
<kjpro

OK... I&#39;ve heard enough.

C does not belong connected anywhere on your thermostat. If you connected it, you likely fried the stat or blew a fuse on the unit.

R belongs on R. (24 V hot wire) W belongs on W. (Call for Heat) Y belongs on Y. (going to your outdoor unit calling for cool) G belongs on G. (call for fan)

C belongs on whatever wire other than Y is going to your outdoor unit... and nowhere on your stat.

Simple....

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Or he doesn&#39;t have the thermostat configured correctly

Reply to
Noon-Air

So simple that many thermostats have a "C" terminal.

Sorry Jake, but you&#39;re wrong on this particular subject.

His wiring *is* correct.

What&#39;s wrong with his particular system? My crystal ball says his indoor blower runs, but the condenser doesn&#39;t (weed wacker)?

Reply to
<kjpro

Quote: Additional Info: Thermostat is a Hunter model 44110

The Hunter 44110 has no "C" connection

Programmable Thermostat

Reply to
<kjpro

Y and C from the stat should fire up the outside ac unit, when y also connected at the ahu then it should make the indoors fan come on too

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Look Sprintgeek I am not HVAC man but you got to admit you have screwed up royally before you have remove old unit you should have take pencil and paper check what each wire activates and market down at present no-one can tell you what goes away because in most cases color code does not apply so how can any one gave you right info. it would be beyond me who ever you get to fix your problem he will need to trace wires were to what are hook up befor hooking Tst.in lots luck. Tony

Reply to
Tony