New high SEER compressor compatibility

I have a combo ac and heating inside unit that was probably original when the house was built in 1989, The compressor outside is starting to leak, despite being just six years old. I live on in a beach community on the Atlantic side, about 60 miles from Orlando. The salt and heat accelerate the effects of corrosion.
The repair man said the inside unit was okay but I would need a new compressor sooner rather than later. Over the phone the sales man tried to make the compatibility between the compressor and the inside unit a factor in replacing both.
Anyone have some solid evidence, prefereably on line, to confirm or deny this allegation?
Jack Linthicum Indialantic, FL

Its not *just* the equipment compatibility, and getting the best efficiency, but also need to take into effect the changeover from R-22 refrigerant to R-410a. Right now you have a choice. January of 2010(just 3 years away), the manufacturers have been mandated to stop making all R-22 equipment, and reduce importing and production of R-22 refrigerant. As far as the efficiency and refrigerant changes, check out the DOE and EPA web sites.
But also explain to him that R-22 replacement gases are already on the market and are very friendly...environmentally and dealer

True there are replacement gases for R-22, but the I have yet to find an equipment manufacturer that will approve the use of them in their systems without voiding any warranty that might be left.

Good statement...I will check on that

which we both know is bullshit. The manufacturer wouldnt have a clue what gas was installed, unless you (the service tech) specifically told them.
Is Rheem going to be the one disecting the Copeland compressor, or will it be Copeland?
In this part of the world warranty issues are handled by contractors & distributors, and on extremely rare occasions, a particular manufacturer. Third party warranties are usually handled by insurance companies, not manufacturers.
btw- what are you charging customers for r22 & 410a?

$20.00 @ LB R-22 $50.00 @ LB R-410A
Still have not yet installed a 410 unit....we are totally still against them. I know...I know ,,,just like the distributors say...the country is going to 410a...no doubt about it. I remind myself of when in the early to mid 80's when all the older dealers said " I will never go to spark ignitions" they are to hard to understand...just no mold fitted bumpers from the early 70's. Yea...time is changing and I have a hard time adjusting and accepting.

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Which is exactly what you're doing when you contact them on a warranty issue and they ask for the serial number!! How long have you been doing this????
--
Respectfully, Bob

When you say compressor I think you mean the condenser which is the entire oudoor section. If it were just the compressor there would be no issues but if its the condenser and given the age of the unit a newer higher eff unit may or may not work and you will not get anywhere near the rated seer of the new condenswer with the old evap in place.
BTW 2006 -1989 isnt six years.
All new systems manufactured after 1-06 will be a minimum of 13 SEER and work at a lower condenser pressure then old 10 SEER minimum equipment. since the metering device on your old system is sized for this lower pressure, it has a smaller metering orifice, you will need a new indoor coil. If your old coil has an TXV instead of the orifive it will operate but not at the maximum efficency.
If you are in a costal area, be sure to have your outside coil washed twice a year to remove the salt that excelarates the reation between the copper and aluminum. Some manufacturers such as Daikin come with a factory coil coating to reduce the corrision of costal areas and there are coatings that can be applied before instalation or on a yearly bases that reduce the corrion you suffer from.

You might be able to buy a 10 or 12-SEER yet, if any are left. A lot of 12-SEER condensers can be matched with a coil to get 13-SEER. They should have left the 12-SEER units alone, they were plenty good for a lot of climate areas! - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html