New high SEER compressor compatibility

I have a combo ac and heating inside unit that was probably original when the house was built in 1989, The compressor outside is starting to leak, despite being just six years old. I live on in a beach community on the Atlantic side, about 60 miles from Orlando. The salt and heat accelerate the effects of corrosion.

The repair man said the inside unit was okay but I would need a new compressor sooner rather than later. Over the phone the sales man tried to make the compatibility between the compressor and the inside unit a factor in replacing both.

Anyone have some solid evidence, prefereably on line, to confirm or deny this allegation?

Jack Linthicum Indialantic, FL

Reply to
jacklinthicum

Its not *just* the equipment compatibility, and getting the best efficiency, but also need to take into effect the changeover from R-22 refrigerant to R-410a. Right now you have a choice. January of 2010(just 3 years away), the manufacturers have been mandated to stop making all R-22 equipment, and reduce importing and production of R-22 refrigerant. As far as the efficiency and refrigerant changes, check out the DOE and EPA web sites.

Reply to
Noon-Air

But also explain to him that R-22 replacement gases are already on the market and are very friendly...environmentally and dealer

Reply to
daytona°

When you say compressor I think you mean the condenser which is the entire oudoor section. If it were just the compressor there would be no issues but if its the condenser and given the age of the unit a newer higher eff unit may or may not work and you will not get anywhere near the rated seer of the new condenswer with the old evap in place.

BTW 2006 -1989 isnt six years.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

True there are replacement gases for R-22, but the I have yet to find an equipment manufacturer that will approve the use of them in their systems without voiding any warranty that might be left.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Good statement...I will check on that

Reply to
daytona°

which we both know is bullshit. The manufacturer wouldnt have a clue what gas was installed, unless you (the service tech) specifically told them.

Is Rheem going to be the one disecting the Copeland compressor, or will it be Copeland?

In this part of the world warranty issues are handled by contractors & distributors, and on extremely rare occasions, a particular manufacturer. Third party warranties are usually handled by insurance companies, not manufacturers.

btw- what are you charging customers for r22 & 410a?

Reply to
gofish

$20.00 @ LB R-22 $50.00 @ LB R-410A

Still have not yet installed a 410 unit....we are totally still against them. I know...I know ,,,just like the distributors say...the country is going to 410a...no doubt about it. I remind myself of when in the early to mid 80's when all the older dealers said " I will never go to spark ignitions" they are to hard to understand...just no mold fitted bumpers from the early 70's. Yea...time is changing and I have a hard time adjusting and accepting.

Reply to
daytona°

Some of the new stuff coming out will have to be sent back to Rheem.... especially the new JEZ series... complete unit replacement if it fails in the first 5 years.

Don't know

The new technology stuff will be sent back to Rheem in the beginning.

First pound is free

1-4 lbs R-22 $77 1-4 lbs R-410a $136

Reply to
Noon-Air

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Which is exactly what you're doing when you contact them on a warranty issue and they ask for the serial number!! How long have you been doing this????

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Steve, Are your numbers ($77 & $136) per pound or are you saying that if they need 2lbs or 3lbs or 4lbs of R-22 is all still a flat $77? .......and if they just need 1lb its free? Bubba "sometimes I have to be led around by the hand" after trying to decipher "Dido said that " :-)

Reply to
Bubba

2,3,or 4lbs of R-22 is flat rated at $77, just keep in mind that if it takes more than a pound, that automatically triggers an electronic leak search to find out where it went, and thats *not* free. Neither are the repairs to correct the problem.

I just replaced an evap coil where the owner had 6 other techs out to fix her 3ton A/C, each one gassed up the system, charged her $200, and left...no leak search, no leak repairs, just gas and go. She called me... evap coil frozen solid... I defrosted it, leak checked it and found multiple leaks in the evap coil. I recovered the remaining refrigerant, installed a new coil, and filter drier,(yes I purged with N2 while brazing) pulled a 400micron vacuum, charged the system with 4lbs 13oz R-22, collected a check for a grand, and now I have her family/friends/inlaws/outlaws calling wanting me to take care of their systems too.

Reply to
Noon-Air

All new systems manufactured after 1-06 will be a minimum of 13 SEER and work at a lower condenser pressure then old 10 SEER minimum equipment. since the metering device on your old system is sized for this lower pressure, it has a smaller metering orifice, you will need a new indoor coil. If your old coil has an TXV instead of the orifive it will operate but not at the maximum efficency.

If you are in a costal area, be sure to have your outside coil washed twice a year to remove the salt that excelarates the reation between the copper and aluminum. Some manufacturers such as Daikin come with a factory coil coating to reduce the corrision of costal areas and there are coatings that can be applied before instalation or on a yearly bases that reduce the corrion you suffer from.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I have a combo ac and heating inside unit that was probably original

Reply to
verne_john

You might be able to buy a 10 or 12-SEER yet, if any are left. A lot of 12-SEER condensers can be matched with a coil to get 13-SEER. They should have left the 12-SEER units alone, they were plenty good for a lot of climate areas!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell