new coil or new compressor or both?

Page 1 of 2
My A/C coil needs to be replaced. My contractor recommends the condenser be replaced now too. It's 15 years old but works just fine. His reasoning is the new coil would be R22. If the condenser dies in the next year or so I'll have to get a 410 unit and then I'd have to get a new 410 coil at that time. In essence, buying 2 coils in a short period of time. We plan to stay in the house for more than 5 years.
Sounds reasonable. I'd love some feedback from the group. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That is sound advice. The reasoning is logical. So why are you here? You know damned well its the wifes OK you have to get.

:-)

It wont hurt a 410 rated coil if you run r22 in it but if you later change refrigerant over to 410 it will need to be thoroughly flushed which adds to the materials and labor cost.

It's not worth the extra cost to flush a coil later. Besides the TXV will have to be changed. Why not change the system now and save money? That's the smart way to do things. But hey, it's *their* money!

fine.
short
change
Basically what I said.

what make you think that there is TXV on the system

There has to be a TXV on the system, they don't make evap coils without them anymore.... but then you don't do resi HVAC do you. Maybe if you did a little homework??

anymore....but this unit is few years old
but then you don't do resi HVAC do you. Maybe if you did a

And we're talking about a *new* replacement coil... Jeez... you must be stuck on stupid.

410 coil... Moron!

I suppose now you are going to tell us that copper is rated for 410
Man question was will it hurt 410 rated coil if use on R-22
Simple answer Is NO! However to get proper rated capacity
That could be a problem and that is Evaporator versa Condenser
or Condenser versa Evaporator.
And I do not believe that they can not get original replacement coil
Instead giving him a fast one.
And KJPRO if you don't like my answers TS have nice day TONY

Tony, finding a 10SEER evap coil is almost impossible now... Even the 10 SEER trailer coils have to be special ordered.....all your gonna find on the shelf now is 13+SEER with expansion valves.
You don't have much of a choice now. As far as running R-22 in an R-410a coil, thats not recommended at all.... nor is it cost effective, unless you don't warranty your work. The capacities and expansion valves are not even a close match.
If you want to frankenstein a system, then do it with *YOUR* customers, as for myself, I am gonna do it right, or I am not gonna do it.
BTW... cryo, and commercial refrigeration systems are a far cry from the new resi equipment, and there is no comparison. You stick to what you know best, and those of us who do resi will stick to what we know best.

It's not that you *try* to answer questions, its that your answers are *always* WRONG!!!! I suppose you didn't know that you purchase an evaporator for the refrigerant that your going to use... ??? You know, as in there's one for R-22 and one for R-410. Why won't you shut the hell up, till you actually understand *something* about HVAC??? Don't like my FACTS proving you wrong all the time... then shut the hell up!

AND I suppose you didn't know that you can use same coil on more then one refrigerant just by changing TXV but then again you need to be refrigeration tech. to know that which you are NOT!

I guess you missed this post by, that's right, ME...
Quote:
> It wont hurt a 410 rated coil if you run r22 in it but if you later change > refrigerant over to 410 it will need to be thoroughly flushed which adds > to > the materials and labor cost.
It's not worth the extra cost to flush a coil later. *****Besides the TXV will have to be changed*****. Why not change the system now and save money? That's the smart way to do things. But hey, it's *their* money!
End Quote:
It's highlighted by the "*****" for the mentally s-l--o---w... Who's barking up the wrong tree... again???

yeh another ripoff! get nother contractor who wants to work
It's 15 years old but works just fine.

But make damn sure they have a brain, unlike newjersey.

No no go to KJPRO he will deffinatly do nice job on your valet

Do it right or don't do it....