Need to braze some fittings - SilPhos15 or Stabrite??

Page 1 of 2
What's best for refrigerant fittings Staybrite silver solder or SilPhos15?
No gap filling needed. These are standard copper connection fittings vs repairs.
Well, I don't think that Staybrite would do much for your pipes.
http://www.bizrate.com/paint_wallcoveringsupplies/oid509958456__nwylf--.html Might reduce your heat gain? http://www.staybrite-windows.co.uk /
The couple times I've used brazing sticks, they take a lot of heat, and do an OK job. I've not had a lot of success with brazing.
I was introduced to Stay-Brite 8. Which is a silver bearing solder. And that has worked very successfully for me for many years.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

2 part expoy, duct tape and a glue gun. Bubba
You forgot about Silly Putty. Bend over and I'll show you another use for it. It'll help quiet where you do most of your talking.

Sounds like fun. You may be suprised afterwards though when you wake up two months later in the hospital and none of your limbs seem to be working anymore. Bubba

I thought you'd use that Great Stuff foam?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Good idea. That straw would make the job easier. However it would probably require the maximum expanding formulation.
Remember to grease the straw good.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thats what SHE said
From my point of view you can use Silphose, stay-bright or silver it depend what is your application where and what are you repairing. If is just copper pipe/tubing to copper pipe/tubing cheapest Silphose like 5% will work just fine, 15 % I use only if customer request that otherwise don't west your money and if you are fixing or repairing something near part that heat may do some damaged then you use silver or stay-bright you choose as your application may require. You or "THE BOSS" from Dido

What kind of torch are you using?? What refrigerant is in the system?? What part of the refrigerant system??
Are you *SURE* its all copper?? and not copper clad or plated??
Turbo torch + MAPP gas, R22, suction and liquid line set to new coil and condensor.
It seems like a mix of opinions. Some prefer SilPhos and others swear by Stay Brite. Some even use soft solder but I discount those as hacks.
The brazing heat from SilPhos weakens the fittings. Others say that the Stay Brite flux can hurt the system however Nitrogen flow isn't needed for the Stay Brite.

Noon-Air wrote:

A 2 tip on that smaller stuff and oxy-acet? Man... you're good.
What's the gas mix on that rig? I got the job done with the same setup but boy it was HOT. My test piece got melted (-;.
I'm interested in what kind of torch handle you use to get into those... tight places (Paul, don't start)?
And what kind of rosebud?
Jake

Nahhh..... I'm just practicing :-) In my younger days, I used to could do a single pass gas weld on 3/8 inch thick steel with 95% penetration.

I normally run 6psi on the acetylene regulator, and 10 psi on the oxy regulator. I like a hot fire, it gets the job done quick with all the heat right where I want it and a lot less chance of getting everything else in the area too hot. I like to use wet paper towls to keep near by componants from overheating... like service valves. In theory, the paper when if it gets dried out will burn befor the valve seals do.... never had it take that long before... even on 1 1/8 inch copper.

Its just your basic Uniweld portable torch kit. The rosebud was extra.

On the rosebud it says its a #15 if that helps... they have them at the supply houses that carry commercial and refrigeration stuff for brazing larger diameter copper pipe. They had a little "shorty" tip that was about 3 inches, I opted for the longer that is about 7 inches. FWIW, there are a lot of places where its a lot easier to get a long tip into than you whole hand, torch, and tip. Its kinda like using a screwdriver.... *most* of the time I will grab the long one, unless all I can fit is a stubby.

FWIW- I too use an oxy-acy setup, #2 tip exclusively. everything from 1/4" copper to 1-1/8. The rosebud is for anything over 1-1/8. I use the torch handle with the knobs downstream of the handle, just before the tip. Oxy is 21 psi, acytelene is 7 psi. Even got a cutting torch tip, rarely used tho.
Jake posted for all of us...

Noon-Air posted for all of us...

After six years of using Stay-Brite, I've had consistently good results.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.