Nate Practice Questions

Studying for the Nate exam from a book from Dewalt called HVAC Technician Certification Guide. Some of the answers don't make sense. i.e....

The term "induced draft" most likely refers to:

a. A compressor

b. A type of control

c. A type of cooling tower

d. A type of test instrument.

The book says the correct answer is c. What is a cooling tower and how is it related to induced draft?

The pipe which connects the evaporator to the compressor is the:

a. Suction line

b. The liquid line

c. The discharge line

d. The hot gas l The pipe which connects the compressor to the condenser is:

a. Suction line

b. The liquid line

c. The discharge line

d. The hot gas line

The book says the correct answer is c. Why is it not also b?

A 125 pound cylinder of R22 is stored in a room at 80 degrees fahrenheit. The pressure in the cylinder should be:

a. 144 psig

b. 160 psig

c. 175 psig

d. 80 psig

The book says the correct answer is a. How is this answer arrived at? What is the math equation?

A frosted suction line on an air conditioning application indicates:

a. The system is overcharged

b. The system is undercharged

c. The suction line temperature is below the dew point of the ambient air and at or below 32 degrees fahrenheit

d. There is air in the system.

The book says the correct answer is c. Why is it not b?

Reply to
Al Moran

Your book is f***ed on that one !

Hint al- the liquid line is past the condenser :-))

pt chart maybe?

think high superheat... umm ba ba comba ( assuming correct airflow ) of course :-)

Reply to
geojr

Not a very good assessment. Seems that it is more interested in trying to "trick" the student rather than find out what the student knows and can do.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

See this link from BAC... one of the leading manufacturers of cooling towers...

'Induced draft' generally means the fan is pulling air through cooling, or 'wet section' of the tower. 'Forced draft' generally means the fan is pushing air through the wet section.

Centrifugal fans are more commonly used in forced draft applications, while axials (with the fan mounted at the very top of the tower) are mostly used in induced applications.

Vicki could tell you more about cooling towers than you'd ever need to know....

Jake

To my knowledge, the compressor is not discharging liquid... if it did, we wouldn't need a condenser, would we?

Reply to
Jake

Did you get any of the answers wrong? I'd bet not. Knowing what the right answer is, and why is the whole purpose for the exam, isn't it? People fresh from tech school should have a hard time with the exam where the seasoned tech with some study should be able to pass the test easily.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Al Moran posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Check out a nuclear power plant. They have biggins

Reply to
Tekkie®

The AC is on, but the house is warm. The likely solution is:

a. Open a window b. Add more of that freezon stuff c. Replace thermostat d. Call the AC guy that Ma and Pa use, he was plenty cheap last time he put some more of that freezon stuff in Ma's AC. Pa sure liked that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Duh..... Does this mean that the nutters who sit the exam and can't get the right answers stop playing with HVAC systems? Whoever the original poster was, I hope they don't have the ordacity to call themselves technicians or craftsmen? Thank goodness they usually don't get to work on anything associated with public health.....

Reply to
New Directions In Building Ser

Oh, so you are perfect then. Go choke on some vegamite.

Reply to
Al Moran

"New Directions In Building Services \\(Australia\\)" wrote

Actually, he calls himself new to the trade, and freely admits his inexperience. He comes here for advice in an effort to increase his knowledge and improve his skills. Pretty smart and humble on his part.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

And in such a moment, you find out who are the polite ones. And who are the trouble makers. I am also a relatively new tech, and have never tried to conceal that information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ROTFL!

-zero

Reply to
zero

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

We know you're new. There's nothing wrong with being new and wanting to learn more. What ruffles feathers is when someone new attempts to dispense knowledge instead of sitting back and listening.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Thanks Al - I needed that - must have eaten the same batch as Mel Gibson!!!!!!!!! Please accept my apology

Reply to
New Directions In Building Ser

OK, I hate to say it but you may need to take a harder look at how much you understand about HVACR in conjunction with the multiple choice test style of "best answer". The piping question is kinda BS. As professionals or high level students we know that there will be a few BS type questions on a mult choice test, and if you are really passing the test they will not affect you too much (score) overall. Possibly they make up for the ones you outright guess correct but did not know..My Opinion.

Reply to
CHADWICK