Majority of heat from a flame is convective -- not radiant -- that is why flames are hottest on top.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.hvac/msg/c35e54a9a9a67836?hl=en :

Fire consists of hot gases that move upwards. If it were radiant heat, then the heat would not specifically move away from the source of gravity. If you aim a butane torch downward, most of the heat will still go up. If it were radiant heat, then it heat from the torch would move downward.

What mechanism other than convection would cause the heat to go upward as opposed to in all directions?

Huh? "base board water or electric"??

I don't know. What is it?
In the original message you were stating that most of a flame's heat is radiant. How can that be when most of the heat of a flame goes up?
Thermal radiation does not favor any direction, is simply travels from hot to cold. Convection, OTOH, causes hot gases to rise and cold gases to sink. This is why a flame's heat goes up. It's convective heat in action.
Only in micro/zero-gravity is the majority of the flame's heat transfer through radiation.
GreenXenon wrote:

The Kings pet Gerbils.

    Bullshit !
    It's my minions, I tell you !!!!!!
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Everyone knows, Heat rises... That's why when you snuff out your Cigar in the palm of your hand, it doesn't hurt... Here, hold this piece of charcoal...
Anyone ever see Lawrence of Arabia? He could hold a burning match in his fingers until it went out. He had some "I don't give a damn" attitude about it, but since heat rises, we all know he was a girly man, it didn't hurt a bit...
Heat seeks cold in all directions... That's why you insulate below radiant floors. Earth averages 55dF & your floor is 80dF...? heat rises right? I don't need that insulation!!! Of course, if I sell LPG, Electricity, or NG, I might not be sold on that hot/cold theory...
goodluck geothermaljones
wrote in

Natural convective heat rises. Radiant, conductive, and forced- convection heat don't necessarily.
A fan is an example of forced convection.

No thanks, the conductive heat will hurt badly.

Natural convection heating doesn't, it only goes up. The other 3 do seek cold in all directions.

Radiant heat does not necessarily rise. As with conductive heat, it simply tries to take the shortest path to the cold.

Heat does not rise.
Cooled air falls, warmed air rises.
--
Build a fire for a man, he\'s warm for a day.
*Set* a man on fire, he\'s warm for the rest of his life.

Fire is an exothermic plasma.