HVAC Career

I'm interested in a career in HVAC and wondered how long the trining course is and how $$ does it cost?
You might want to consider an apprenticeship with UA (united associations).Most locals cover plumbers, pipefitters, and service technicians(HVAC). Your school is free and you get a paying job while you go to school..

digitalmaster wrote:

I would shoot for an Apprenticeship program, like was already said you get paid to learn not visa versa, its a good situation.
Fat Eddy www.hvactalkforum.com

The training is free for those with enough brains to join a local union. Your mileage may vary. A union apprenticship is typically 5 years.
The training period lasts the rest of your life! You can go through several avenues of training depending on wahat your goals are, what area of HVAC you want to enter. The UA's are good for commercial and lousy for residential.
Research everything you want to learn about until your brain hurts and then ask questions about what you didn't understand. A trade shool is good for theory (hopefully), but you only get out of your training what you put inot it.
If you have a great ATTITUDE, good people skills, are mechanically inclined, willing to learn, you may not have to go to school . You can apprentice with a good company. The company will send you to school.
Good Luck,
Bob
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

No matter what, Carrier self with your head high, and never be Ruud.
And don't feed the Jani-trolls.
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:35:44 GMT, Archie Leach

Ah, icy you Reid the scrolls, too.
Ammonia novice at it, myself.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
I started with a residential company that hired me with no expeirence. They had a very good training program. I then took a correspondance course from thompsons direct now PennFoster. I found a job in the commercial end that was suppossed to be union but really was not. from here I obtained a real union job with the UA. I'm not sure how old you are or how much money you need to live on. That could affect how to start. I know the UA job is the best I can find all the way around. As stated before You will never stop learning in this trade. God-Luck

Anyone in most of Georgia would be in Local 72.
404-373-5778
starting apprentice is $10.50 I think journeyman $26.62 plus $1.00 an hour into annuity fund plus retirement and health insurance.

Not being an ass, but thats it? Thats all? DAmn..that wont pay for gas now....

Depends on where you live.In LA or NY its nothing,but the cost of living is lower here. Last I heard UA members in NY were making better than $35an hour.

I dunno man...Im in central NC and it costs about the same here, as it did in Palm Springs CA altho gas is still cheaper here.

http://about.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?jobcode=SC16000027&jobaltername=HVAC+Mechanic+II&jobtitle=HVAC+Mechanic+II&narrowdesc=Construction+and+Installation&narrowcode=SC02&zipcode=&metrocode=8&statecode=GA&state=Georgia&pagenumber=1&searchpage=keywordtitleselect&searchtype=1&geo=Atlanta%2C+GA
With the UA it $26.62 on hour or $56,160 per year(no overtime) plus $1.00 an hour goes into annuity savings.The contractor pays that dollar and ALL your health insurance and retirement nothing is deducted from your check. Total benefit package is $7.00 an hour or $14,560.00 per year for a total compensation of $70,720.If you work a little overtime obviously your yearly compensation goes up.What is the going rate in other areas of the country?
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:15:37 -0400, "digitalmaster"

We are close to $33 here in Flint Michigan. Local 370.