How to locate ceiling heat elements?

Hello,
I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).
As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know a method for locating the elements.
Thanks for any help with this,
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

There are inexpensive stud finders that will locate metallic objects.

or use a laser pointer heat gun, turn heat on, find and mark hot areas.
cooler areas will be safe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There are electronic locators that can detect precisely where voltages are - and they're inexpensive too. Something like $19.95 at most tool outlets. They give off a beep when a voltage stream is located.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

A cheap drill bit will will show a bright arc indicating exact locations of elements. Also will wake up operator.

And will most likely cause the operator to have to do some laundry.