Honeywell Q340A 30mV thermocouples

Page 1 of 3
What's their usual lifetime in a furnace? Darn thing chooses Christmas morning to die on me. They never seem to last more than 3 years and this is with the pilot adjusted to minimum.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I've seen thermocouples last for the life of the furnace. Failure could be due to what's in the air mixing with the flame and corroding the thermocouple. What color is the pilot flame? If the thermocouple is cleaned with sandpaper, it may start working again.
TDD

When is my light going to burn out? If you can answer that, I'll answer your question.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Cute... Residential units haven't had pilots for years. ;-)

What is so cute? Many older models are still in existence and heating homes. I know of at least two.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that your heating unit has long passed the time to update it? Its pay me now or pay me later situation. Any Gas fuel system will pay for itself by going with the high efficiency units we have been installing since the 1980's.

Yes, it has occurred to me. I live in New England and use heat quite a bit and my boiler is five days old. You, however, had a bit of a smirk that thermocouple units no longer exist. For better or worse, they do.

Correct, t'couples exist on some new lower end boilers.
The King wrote:

Not on residential.. Perhaps your Union is shirking in teaching you the codes. No wonder private companies are taking all the work.

LOL Don, you're full of more shit than a Christmas turkey.

Yep, they exist on newer equipment. Newer equipment that is el cheapo that is. And I am curios, if the boiler is five days old and the thermocuple lasted three years, what kind of math is that? Now shut the hell up and solve for x, dummy.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
ftwhd wrote:

Better read your union code book... No pilots in residential! Yes the Math is a bit spooky. Send the man a number 10 coal scoop and a chimney scrubber. You can still install pilot systems in light and heavy commercial, dependent on the floor load population.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not here in residential heat units. You cannot even purchase them. Pilot lite are even being phased out on water heaters. The water heaters that have pilots, have a flame so small that you can barely see it. As for the smirk, you ass... I have been around long enough to convert coal furnaces to fuel gas system. New trailer/mobile/modular homes cannot even have a pilot furnace installed in them and those units are still rated at 80% efficiency. Apparently they all come with electric water heaters also. Evnthe big boiler systems we install for commercial are electronically ignited and have a $thousand worth of safety devices..Low water etc. Also the are capable of calling them on the phone and changing settings or calling you in case of breakdown. Mr Pawlowski, you have a safe, sane and hapy holiday season. Do what is best for your family.
PS Every state has federal money to update heating systems for those that cannot afford to do it on their own. You can get that by calling you State Heat assistance office or the local Community development office. They will also repair your modern unit if required. There is little paperwork for these needs and the service is usually instantaneous. You can also get assistance with Heat bills up to $980 a year depending on weather conditions and area.

OK, you've been around a long time, but that does not mean pilot lights so not exist any more. I know they stopped making them a while back, buy plenty of old boilers and furnaces are still around.
I used to live in Philadelphia. There were tens of thousands of homes with pilot light heaters built in the 1940's to 1980. Some still have those original heaters and still have thermocouples.
Sure, better technology exists, but it will be a couple of more decades before they are gone.

I just spent $60,000 at work to have our two steam boilers updated with controls. O2 sensors, modulating gas valves, etc. I can go to the boiler from my office or my home PC at any time too. OUr gas bill runs about $10,000 a month every months since it is process, not heating.
Last Monday I had a new oil boiler installed in my house. It will take a while to get actual numbers, but I know it is already saving me money as it runs less for the same heat. Big savings on hot water with an indirect system.

Check here to see what is available. http://www.dsireusa.org /
I can get 10 years at 0% interest and a $500 rebate

Nordyne model... M1GB056AAW (pilot model that is still in production... along with many others)
Not all manufactured homes have electric water heaters... most, but not all.
KJPRO wrote:

Federal manufactures code does not allow pilot systems to be installed in those. I checked several distributorship's on line and could not find one Nordyne pilot system of the last few years manufacture that contained a pilot system. I also checked with fire codes for those systems and they are verboten. You may of course check with your local fire marshal for verification. I don't invent these codes and manufacturers federal requirements.. I merely try to live with them.

I understand the fuel gas systems are a special order. Actually the sales companies also try their best to peddle you a home with an electric furnace and an air to air heatpump. The Insurance folks like it that way. Apparently less chance of a trailer fire. No expert on trailers, but I do read my codes and the federal flyers that many companies promptly delegate to the circular file.
I deleted the Home repair NG.

I have not seen a pilot system in any gas furnaces that were installed after 1995.

All of my customers that live in trailers have electric heat, which would be fine if they wouldn't screw around with them. Roughly 30 percent of my no-heat calls in trailers have had sequencer(s) blown apart and seriously burnt wires. FWIW, I won't even touch a gas furnace in a trailer unless I am removing it to replace it with electric.
I guess I won't call you for anything. Gas heat since I moved in, in 1994. Replaced my own furnace in 05 or so, I'd have to go look at the date on the furance.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://www.intertherm.net /
Perhaps you should refine your search skills. Intertherm M1G standing pilot furnace.

Perhaps you should learn who owns Intertherm and Miller! http://www.nordyne.com/Web/MHLand.aspx