Home Air Filter Advice

I have 3 returns in my house. I was told that I do not need an air filter in my air handler which is in my attic if I have a filter in the returns. However, when I had a filter in the air handler, I noticed it was dirty....even though I had filters in all the returns. So currently, I replace all 4 filters regularly. Is this ok? I use MERV 8 pleated filters.
I want to start using MERV 10 filters. Is it okay to still use one in the main unit or is there a better practice?
--

Thanks.

Make sure all of your RA ductwork is completely tight with no leaks, and you should only need the filters in the returns *OR* the filter in the air handler... not both.
Noon-Air wrote:

Using high efficiency pleted filters will require changing often. Check them each month and change when soiled. Eventually you will find a regular schedule to follow that matches *your* life style.
Peleted filters offer some restriction to airflow [even when clean] and having a high MERV rating means they will become soiled quicker [choking the airflow as they become plugged with material.]
When you write your monthly check to the electric company - check your air filter.
--
Zyp

This would be kind of difficult. The piping runs in the attic in areas that cannot be easily reached and some of it I would say is impossible to reach. It is also covered with blow insulation.

In view of my last statement...it would be okay to run with just the filter in the air handler and leave all three returns empty?

That would work, but if the RA ductwork isn't tight, how much unconditioned air are you sucking in to the system??
hmmmmm good question!
--

Thanks.