Higher SEER = More Problems? Worth it?

Page 1 of 2
According to CR: Contractors they survey say units with a SEER of 11 to 14 tend to hold up best. SEER of more than 14 tend to be more complex, with more that can go wrong.
Any opinion on this? It seems that anything above SEER 14 is just a waste of money. Are you really going to save that much more a month to make it worth it? And will it give you more trouble?
RAJ
It really depends on where you are located... here in the south, the payback on the a/c or a heat pump is really pretty quick as we have 9 months of summer here as opposed to 9 months of winter sports where you would actually see a payback from a 96% AFUE furnace.

jzjz had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm : I agree. This 30+ Year contractor is just running his mouth without really thinking. He probably lives in a little house with $100 a month ac/heating bills. If you have a small heating or AC bill, than cutting a small bill in 1/2 won't help pay it back very fast.
However I have a huge problem. I have 5500 square feet and I'm seeing $500 to $600 bills with this piece of junk 12 seer york I have. If those bills were cut in 1/2 it would save about $250 a month. It would pay for itself in about 2 years. There's at least $5000 a year spend on heating an air conditioning here and it's an electric nightmare. Back when electric was more affordable it wasn't too bad. But they raised our electric rates by over 60% in one year!
I'm aware that a 24 seer probably wouldn't really cut the bill in 1/2, but it at least gives me hope that it would pay for itself in a reasonable time. If not in 2 years then maybe 4 or 5. Even if it were 6 or 7 it would be worth the chance on it. I just wish I knew the exact figures..
jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm
First thing first, is your house well insulated and air tight?
jzjz had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm :
RAJ wrote:

-------------------------------------
I think this is their speculation and have nothing to base it on since the other units are so new. Also money is being lost ever month on 11 SEER untis due to the inefficiency. It depends on what their original bills are like. I've noticed a lot of contractors are LIARS and are always protecting THEIR interests. If it means more training or a complex unit, they tend to advise against that for their own selfish reasons. This fogs the issue some.
jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118021-.htm
A contractor who doesn't keep up with hi-tech. stuffs with ongoing proper training won't really understand what they are dealing with. Like automotive mechanic who does not understand basic electronics. When I had my a/c unit installed I wanted to have wireless thermostat. The guy did an excellent install job but had no clue about wireless stuffs. At least he was honest to tell me that. I installed 'stat and sort of gave him a quick run down. Of course complex equipment needs more maintenance for sure. Without proper knowledge/experience dealing with complexity it can get messy. My unit is SEER 15. I need cooling barely 2 months a year.

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm
The only one who can tell you is a local tech..... and the tech should be able to show your actual ROI numbers at todays utility rates.

Oh jesus, give it up, already.....
and the tech should be

He should, eh? How bout YOU?? Proly not.
To the OP: iirc, energy consumption is directly proportional to the eer rating. So, theoretically, a 24 seer should use half the energy of your 12, assuming it really is 24. Plus, if it's got a heat pump, you'll likely save with that as well. Plus, it seems these newer units are very quiet -- at least the mitsubishi/fujitsu "suitcases" -- the fujitsu my neighbor has is *super* quiet -- you couldn't hear it if it were under a dining room table during dinner.
So, depending on how much you actually use it, you can do the calcs yourself, just from the claimed eers and your current usage and $ per kwhr.
As others have said, insulation makes a big diff -- as does good zoning, which is easier said than done with A/C. You might consider a bunch of mini-splits instead of one central A/C unit -- not the cheapest way to go initially, but with the zoning inherent in minisplits, you may save bundles way beyond even the eer diffs.
--
EA

jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm
It's pretty hot where I live, but those numbers sound high to me. I suspect you need more insulation, and probably some patches on your ductwork. I'm also a fan (no pun intended) of radiant barriers.
If those bills

jzjz wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Higher-SEER-More-Problems-Worth-it-118073-.htm Note that the original question comes from June 2006
bud-- wrote:

People at the suckocompany are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Jon
Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Hwang. The respect is returned. I've been impressed that you are polite, and thoughtful. I've never met a bad Hwang. Actually, can't say as I've met one in person in any form.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Goodgawd.... mebbe it's the water.... mebbe they're both drinking the same water....
--
EA

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Isn't a Hwang what the Mormons play with when they are not married?

Hwang is the sound that the rod makes when spanking an unruly child or teenager.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sheeit, then you must be in 7th Heaven, over there in Utah!!
--
EA

> --
Hermann wrote:

Hwang = 황 = 黃, Got it? Speaking of marriage, I can trace back my whole clan back to early 14th century. BTW, I am 37th generation. I have document, the whole thing on two DVD set. Periodically updated/published/distributed from clan Hq. based in Seoul, Korea(my home town) Can you or your family match it? Do you know who you are?

Yes we know who we are. We are...
http://tinyurl.com/ygq98o6
Left to right: Stormin Mormon, Oren & Nate. I'm not in it of course because I'm taking the picture.
Red Green wrote:

Yup, red and green.

Then of course there's the Bad Boys:
http://i48.tinypic.com/iz9t05.jpg