help it is cold

Page 1 of 3
My house has two zoned heat. The upstairs is warm and the thermastat seems to be regulating when the heat upstairs goes on and off. But the downstairs is freezing. The heat won't go on and everytime I try to change the setting on the thermastat is won't take the changes and the heat won't go on. Before I call in a service person would it be best if I just go to Home Depot and buy a new thermastat?

Yep, sounds like the thermastat is bad. Replace it with a new digital programmable one. The cheap ones are no good--be sure to get one of the more expensive ones at Home Depot. (Don't worry, the most expensive thermastat at Home Depot is way cheaper than the ones that those HVAC crooks sell with all their markup.)
You may also need to replace the thermastat wiring with new digital thermastat wiring.

The only true statement I think I have ever heard you make...

if
crooks
Notice, he did say "crooks", that doesn't include "all" HVAC Companies.
<kjpro> wrote:

Kenny I thought you had more brains than to continously feed this troll.
Do yourself and us a favor and put him in your killfile and ignore the clueless fuck.

Sometimes, I like to point out the obvious.
But, I try not to make it a habit. :-)
posted for all of us...

Yes, believe PJM but I also recommend new wire, anchors and wire ties and clips, do the job right!

before you go to home cheapo, try putting in new batteries in the downstairs t-stat. if that doesnt work, smash it with a framing hammer.
Absoloutely. There is no reason at all to call a repair guy. Replacing the thermostat will fix the problem, guaranteed. If that doesn't do it, get the next model fancier thermostat.
On the other hand, there is a lot you didn't ask, and a lot I didn't write.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

And "A LOT" that Chris doesn't understand. LOL

NO

First, ignore all the malcontented & unemployed alt.hvac regulars who told you to buy an expensive thermostat. Also, if you are reasonably handy and can afford to take your time, by all means try to diagnose the problem yourself first.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net writes:

I assume the thermostat you are talking about here is the upstairs one for the upstairs zone.

Are you talking about a different downstairs thermostat now? Do you have any heat in this (downstairs) zone? Are you saying that no matter how high you turn up the thermostat, the heat fails to turn on? Did you have any problems with heat balance in similar weather in other years?

If you are reasonably handy and can afford to take your time, by all means try to diagnose the problem yourself first. However, you have not given nearly enough information to determine whether or not the thermostat is even an issue -- however, thermostats themselves are pretty reliable (unless you forget to change the batteries or get hit by lightening)
now blueman is giving HVAC advice. I find that very amusing
writes:

Believe me, I would much prefer to defer to the "pros" but they are all just a bunch of profanity-laced complainers. If you or one of the regulars are willing to help, I will gladly bow out...

Oh no...by all means....continue! You're doing a great job! Essentially, you've suggested he try to figure it out himself, which was brilliant advice considering the fact the reason he came here in the first place was because he couldn't figure it out himself! LOL!! Now what do you think he should do, Einstein? You have joined the ranks of Dildo in that you're a special brand of stupid...
--
Respectfully, Bob

I certainly contribute more than you do, but that is not saying much. Then again, most residential hvac control systems are hardly rocket science. Cold -> turn on furnace Hot -> turn on AC or stop furnace burning

Smurf: The wannabe hvac tech. Forget it dude. You dont have a clue. You must have really been burnt good for an expensive filter change from us. Hahahaha Bubba

Hey trailer trash (aka Bubba) - learn how to read -- it was someone else who complained about the filter change.
Meanwhile, my fixed heater is working GREAT -- no cost and no long wait for a lazy, greedy, rude, etc. HVAC "pro" to get his incompetent butt out here... :)