Furnace blower not turning on when it should

I have a newer furnace (about 18 months old) in a new home (just as old). I noticed the other day that I heard the furnace exhaust fan go, followed by the gas starting to burn. A few minutes went by and the blower never kicked in. After a few minutes, I checked the thermostat. It read "Heat On", but it wasn't blowing any air. At this point, the gas had to be burning for 5 minutes. I turned it to "Off" and then back to "Auto". It then went through the same routine.... exhaust on, gas on and finally followed by the blower. I thought it was weird and figured I would keep my eye on it.

Today, I notice it was a bit cold in the house, but didn't think anything of it. I got up and heard the gas running again, but noticed that the furnace wasn't blowing. I checked the thermostat again. This time, the thermostat was set to 70 degrees, but was currently 68 degrees and read "Heat On" again. Again, I switched it to "Off" and back to "Auto" again and it everything kicked in as expected.

I, by no means, am an HVAC expert. I am obviously going to call the HVAC company in tomorrow (too late tonight) to have them take a look at it. I was just hoping that I could get a heads up to what might be the problem so that I'm not taken tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

Call the installer ASAP...

18 mo. system old ought to be under warranty. All you can really do is switch the fan control from Auto to On to see if the blower is working. Either way it needs someone qualified to take a look...

goodluck geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

I apologize... I made a mistake in my original post. I turn the thermostat from "Heat" to "Off". When doing this, I hear the gas turn off. Switching back to "Heat" again fixes everything.

When I noticed that the gas was running and the fan was not, I did attempt to turn the fan from "Auto" to "On". This did turn the fan on, but did not blow warm air. The only way to get it to "reset" was by flipping the switch from "Heat" to "Off" and back to "Heat" again.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

The blower fan does work. It seems like everything is in line.. but something isn't telling the blower to turn on.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

Maybe replace the logic control board. Fan-on timer/relay possibly shot on the board.

Reply to
Hermann

Stormy? Is that you?

Reply to
HVAC

.

Should something like this be covered under warranty? Like I had mentioned in my OP, the house and furnace are both 16 - 18 months old.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

.

It happened again... woke up this morning, thermostat set to 70, temp was 66. I heard nothing this time (no gas, nothing). Flip the switch from "Heat" to "Off" and back to "Heat" again and voila... furnace running just fine.

If it was a relay, would it be flaking out sometimes (even though it appears to be getting worse)?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

It happened again... woke up this morning, thermostat set to 70, temp was 66. I heard nothing this time (no gas, nothing). Flip the switch from "Heat" to "Off" and back to "Heat" again and voila... furnace running just fine.

If it was a relay, would it be flaking out sometimes (even though it appears to be getting worse)?

Dude. Notwithstanding Stormy-like comments that you need a new board, what you REALLY need is someone to come over and see what the problem is.

End of story, period dot.

Reply to
HVAC

I have someone on the way right now... he should be at my house in the next 30 minutes. I just don't want to be blind sided since I'm not a HVAC guy. I don't want to come across completely ignorant. If I can get some ideas from this board on what it could be, it might help.

UPDATE:

it appears that the only way to get the furnace to turn on is to manually set it to "off" and back to "heat" again. it has not turned on by itself once today.

I am going to be pissed if this is a big expense... the damn unit is only 18 months old. Is York a horrible product?

Reply to
ATJaguarX

I have someone on the way right now... he should be at my house in the next 30 minutes. I just don't want to be blind sided since I'm not a HVAC guy. I don't want to come across completely ignorant. If I can get some ideas from this board on what it could be, it might help.

UPDATE:

it appears that the only way to get the furnace to turn on is to manually set it to "off" and back to "heat" again. it has not turned on by itself once today.

I am going to be pissed if this is a big expense... the damn unit is only 18 months old. Is York a horrible product?

I dunno... you tell me

Steve

.

HVAC guy thinks its the flame sensor. He's going to do a cleaning and see where its at.

Reply to
ATJaguarX

me

Thinks?! Oh great. Sounds like you paid for the best tech you could find. Oh, by the way. You mentioned you were going to be pissed if this is a big expense. How pissed will you be when this guy that "Thinks" and you come home from work to a freezing house with bursted pipes? Oh Joy. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I have someone on the way right now... he should be at my house in the next 30 minutes. I just don't want to be blind sided since I'm not a HVAC guy. I don't want to come across completely ignorant. If I can get some ideas from this board on what it could be, it might help.

Why do you feel the need to 2nd guess the HVAC technician?

Why does your self esteem need so much help?

No nuts?

Reply to
Jim Dandy

Yeah, it isn't Rocket Science. Just replace a handful of parts today. If that doesn't fix it, come back next week and replace some more parts.

Remember, he needs some more ideas on what might work so he isn't blindsided...

Reply to
Jim Dandy

No! Are you Mr Obama's tax evading appointee to head up alt.hvac?

Reply to
Alexander

You have the warrantee in with your manuals. Read and profit.

Reply to
Alexander

Call a service company. Why beat a dead horse?

Reply to
Don Ocean

I agree with checking that board for false lockout. It should rebound within an hour. If it doesn't, its a bad board. What does the blink code tell you? (I also highly recommend that you call your Service contractor. He/she/it will be aware of any problems with that model and any recalls and feild changes that may be required. You may now send this group a couple of cases of Premium Beer for services rendered. Hell yes,we will declare it on our taxes.

Reply to
Don Ocean

That all depends on how big his parts truck is. Worry, if he drives an

18 wheeler pulling doubles. ;-)
Reply to
Alexander