Freezer question

I service freezer merchandisers, now and again. Leer ice cube chests. Compressor on top, and coldwall evaporator.

Many times, I've arrived, and the suction line has been frosty. I rinse out the condensor with some water, and the suction line warms up. The one I did today, had about 1/4 inch of clear ice around the suction line. I wet cleaned the condensor. The ice promptly melted off the suction line. Some minutes later, the suction line started frosting.

Seems like releasing more heat would improve cooling. What's going on, here? I've got a few ideas, but curious what the *competent* techs on this forum have to say.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow! You arent really that unknowing of what your problem is, are you? The line was frosted so you put water on the condenser coil to solve it? Im speechless. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Are these cap tube systems? Sounds like it. Think about it--the higher the head pressure, the more refrigerant is forced through the cap tube and the lower the superheat. Did you ever look at the superheat charging chart for cap tube/flowrator A/Cs. Notice the difference in superheat when the outside temp is 100 as opposed to 60. Same thing. After you wash the condenser on a non txv air cond check the superheat when the condenser is still wet and watch it drop as it dries. That is also one reason you must always check the superheat AFTER you clean the condenser and it is dry and pressures stabilized -- a dirty condenser can be masking a low charge. The one that you shortcut and don't will be the one that bites you in the butt. Yes, I learned that the hard way.

Reply to
lp13-30

Tell the customer that you don't know what you're doing and direct them to someone who's qualified.

That's the best thing you can do for them... SERIOUSLY.

Reply to
KJPRO

Get a clue! ( i think thats the expression you guys use)

Reply to
Oztech

Yes, cap tube system. Sorry, didn't say that. That's about what I figured. I was thinking that the super cooled liquid freon probably didn't flash as fast. More saturated vapor by down the suction line. But, it makes sense that the delta p of a hot condensor would feed more refrigerant.

It did take several minutes for the condensor to dry off. And like you say, it's impossible to get any kind of accurate reading with a wet condensor. Watch the superheat drop, as it dries? Wouldn't superheat increase, with a hot, dry condensor?

Short cuts. I hear yah. I've got a mental check list of all the things to check, while servicing any kind of system. Someday I'll write it all down, and make a written check list. I'd publish the check list on this board, but I'd hear from the competent techs that we ought not be teasing the public with tidbits of information. The trade really requires some training, and apprenticeship. A little knowledge is dangerous.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As you have shown time and time again...

Reply to
KJPRO