Evaporate coil icing

Almost immediately upon starting up my AC, the refrigerant line inside the evaporator coil and 2 or 3 of the bottom-most coils frost up and then later ice over. The coils above that never seen to get cold at all. The blower motor seems to be functioning properly as airflow seems normal. Is there a leak in the system, anything else I should look at before calling service? Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Maks

Either you live in a trailer, or your screwing around with something your shouldn't be. THere are a couple of things you can check tho... like maybe change your air filter more than once a year, and make sure all your vents are open. Beyond that, call the tech.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Noon-Air wrote: : Either you live in a trailer, or your screwing around with something your : shouldn't be. : THere are a couple of things you can check tho... like maybe change your air : filter more than once a year, and make sure all your vents are open. Beyond : that, call the tech.

Don't live in a trailer and have a basic understanding of AC. All the research I've done on a partially frozen coil pointed to what I posted, so I'm not sure why you have an attitude. I also change the filter every 2-3 months. Thanks for the informative reply.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Maks

OK... you say you have a basic understanding of the refrigeration cycle (A/C)

Answer me this... what will cause a frozen coil?? (hint- there are only 3 things)

The vents and filters will normally fix the first one.... until some idiot takes the covers off a cased coil while the system is running and wonders why it frosts up.

The other problem will need to be corrected by a licensed technician.

Reply to
Noon-Air

: OK... you say you have a basic understanding of the refrigeration cycle : (A/C)

: Answer me this... what will cause a frozen coil?? (hint- there are only 3 : things)

: The vents and filters will normally fix the first one.... until some idiot : takes the covers off a cased coil while the system is running and wonders : why it frosts up.

: The other problem will need to be corrected by a licensed technician.

Well, what I read that applied to me was that poor airflow (dirty filter, bad fan belt, ductwork blockage), low refrigerant or a leaking coil would cause freezing. I didn't take the cover off a running system to see that they were iced. There was freezing on the refrigerant line right where it begins to enter the coil, which is visible without removing anything. After running it for a bit and not getting any cold air, I removed the panel and found further icing inside.

I simply wanted to ensure there was no simple thing I was overlooking. I like to be informed about how things work, what causes problems and generally be informed when a technician arrives. It doesn't matter if it's my HVAC, my car or anything else. I know when I'm in over my head and need to hire a professional, which I intend on doing first thing in the morning. I didn't realize that wanting to be informed was such a crime around here.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Maks

Steve,

Your problem sounds very similar to several I've had over the years. My problems were always caused by low refrigerant, and solved by adding it. Dale

Reply to
dchouser

That would be bullshit, since the line would START to freeze at the distribution head, and NOT at the line where it enters the coil.

However, if you let it run for an hour and then looked..yea..you were sluggin the hell out of it.

Then you understand that basically two things cause a freezing coil, and barring one, you know what you need to do.

Reply to
aka-SBM