Dumb answers by jerks

I am amazed by the number of Idoits on this site that are intent on harrassing people with a bunch of nonsense responses to questions. I would hope the adminstraters of this site start blocking people giving dumb answers. I have been in the HVAC and Commercial refrigeration industry for 45 years. I do not see the harm in assisting homeowners in locating and repairing problems they can safely do. Most of the time they do need qualified technicans to repair a problem but they also need to check the basic issues before spending hard earned money for someone to change a filter. If they need to have a HVAC tech tell them that instead of being stupid and making the rest of us look foolish.
--
Stan Chaney HVACR
Commercial Refrigeration & HVAC
On 2/2/2014 11:45 AM, stanhvac1 wrote:

Homeowners come here for help and most often they get non responses or even bad information. I have called the HVAC techs the Rodney Dangerfield of technicians. They feel the get no respect. So they try to be the protectors of the sacred information, hiding any help they could be to the homeowner. That's my impression from lurking here. Mikek
amdx wrote:

Two things, dumb questions get dumb answers. Hiding or protecting sacred information is by only small men.
replying to amdx , stanhvac1 wrote:

There are things the homeowner can check and do and there are things they cannot do without expensive test equipment. I don't mind giving as much help as possible for what I think they can handle. The more technical testing I advise them to seek certified tech. help. Some questions I do not respond to due to not enough information given or I don't know the answer. I try my best not to give bad advise.
--
Stan Chaney HVACR
Commercial Refrigeration & HVAC
*+-I have called the HVAC techs the Rodney Dangerfield of technicians.
I wonder if this is an urban phenomenon. It seems contractors always come up with the most expensive solution. Do they do the same in the countryside?
A chum who was an EE for an MEP firm once told me the technicians always ignore what the engineers specify. SInce this is engineer's week, I always hear the story about how the contractor in the KC disco that collapsed in 1981 divided a beam so that it cut the floor with shear stress. I've found left over wood from concrete molds inside my wall, almost like a termite highway. In 1978 my dad's new US car had the most advanced computer which local mechanics (in NYC) disabled because they didn't understand (of course, the encouraged buying foreign cars which they knew how to fix instead)
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
On 2/9/2014 4:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

computer wiring, drilled holes through the formed concrete ceiling beams. So now every beam in a room has a hole at the same point, looking to start cracking. It was reported, but I don't know what ever came of it. Probably found an engineer to OK it. It's been 10 or 12 years, but not 30. Mikek
replying to amdx , Stan wrote:

I am not an electrician, However, The NEC has standards for drilling holes in supports and should not pose any problems as long as the regulations are followed.
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:58:30 PM UTC+8, amdx wrote:

At my auntie's house, a "tradesman" drilled a hole vertically above a switch ... and through the live wiring. Big sparks et cetera. Not enough training?
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:45:08 PM UTC-5, stanhvac1 wrote:

This is an unmoderated group. Anyone can post anything that doesn't violate a very few basic limits. Those limits don't include being right, polite, or even on topic.
message

45 years in the industry? You must be an old fart, and not very good at what you do. You should've been able to park the van years ago, not hang handicap placard from the mirror and have the van equipped with a ramp for your Hoveround!
replying to Tom J , schvac wrote:

There is a old saying, it is one thing to be stupid, but it takes a fool to open his mouth and let everyone in on his secret. Yes I am old so what? I make more money in a month than you probably do in 4 or 5 years. I am a Veteran, do work for the Federal Gov. and state Gov. Unlike people like you I like what I do rather than sit on my ass an think my next door neighbor is suppose to support me. So go on back to your drugs and keep you mouth shut so everybody won't know how stupid you are.
THe folks here are a lot more helpful than most contractors I've contacted! The only place I got better answers was going to the HVAC show at the Javits.