Does an attic vent need a firestat switch?

I wanted to install an vent fan to cool down the attic. This is 100% attic air, not one of those "whole house fans". No air sucked in from the living space. The house is in Massachussetts.
Contractor says this fan needs an automatic shut-off in case there's a smoke or fire condition. I have not heard of this requirement. Is this true?
Thanks, AABob

Depends on what you want the fan to do when the attic catches on fire.
Don't be so stupid and helpless.
I think you ought to ask elsewhere. This group is infested with a few obviously-unemployed (and likely-unemployable) misfits who post thousands of pointless messages annually. They waste everyone's time playing their little boy games in other groups, too, but this one is particularly bad ... they must be HVAC-technician-wannabees.