cool the boat?

It has only been 110 for 30 days now...

I'd like to adapt an inexpensive window air conditioner to built-in.

The first step was to make a door for the companionway for the AC unit to sit in. It worked out pretty well, and the top companionway board fits on top to close off the opening.

But that means 1) climbing cover the AC unit to get in or out of the cabin.

And 2) it blows tons of hot air across the cockpit.

The biggest problem (as I see it) is getting the hot air out.

I wonder what ducting would do to that hot side transfer. It couldn't be good... And I'd not like to cut a hole the size of a window unit in the hull!

So...

Marine AC units usually use a water bath to cool the condenser coils. Pump fresh water into a tank holding the coils and the warm water goes over the side. That means a hole in the hull with a thru-hull valve on it for a pickup, and an exit hole above the waterline.

The rest should be pretty straight forward.

Unless I'm missing something really big??

Reply to
cavelamb

Commercial coolers often use water cooled condensors.

I've seen some ships with "shephards crook" pipes through the deck, presumably for ventilation. One of those could be used to dump the hot air from the back of the AC. Might need a duct booster fan. Increase the CFM.

Lets explore this. Might make for a niche market. AC for the wealthy and pampered.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tell her to move over to one side.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Sorry, Morm, Hardly wealthy or pampered.

More like life support for the desperate and destitute.

But without my boat, I'd probably give up and start watching TV...

Reply to
cavelamb

Ummm....how about the type, length and tonnage of the boat, power plant, and maybe a link to some pics.

Reply to
Steve

Sure... She is a Catalina Capri 26 sailboat, roughly 6000 pounds displacement, outboard powered.

cavelamb

I m afraid that your pretty much gonna be stuck with either cutting a big hole or being hot.

Reply to
Steve

Well, neither are acceptable...

I have a window unit in the companionway now, and could maybe set up to operate it at the forward hatch.

The fwd hatch on the Capri series is located such that the AC unit might could just sit on the foredeck.

It would need a closure / shroud / thingie to close it off.

Not perfect, but it would at least open up the companionway for easier access.

But why not make a water bath for the condenser coil? What's the catch there?

Reply to
cavelamb

It's not designed to be flooded with salt water ( or fresh water ) continuously . There's a REASON everything else on the boat that's exposed to the water is 'MARINE' grade stainless or brass, etc.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Reminds me of the internet joke (which used to be a copier joke) about woman wanted, send pictures of boat.

Nice to have some general sizes, how much are to cool, and how many amps of electric you have available.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look into a product called KoolWave . They are portable a/c units , compact, with water cooled Condensors.

Reply to
ilbebauck

You can purchase AC that is design to use sea water for cooling or you can modified you own unit by installing cupronickel condenser and pump sea water for cooling or third option get the heater exchanger that is bolted under boat hole and use as direct cooling condenser as is use for diesels powered boats. good luck!

Reply to
Grumpy

Thank you, Grumpy, for some solid information.

We are a fresh water boat, so the salt issues don't apply. But plain old lake water can be pretty nasty, if not as corrosive.

The condenser coil I'm fiddling with has very fine (small) clearance between the fins. I was concerned with them clogging up with tiny vermin, more than corrosion.

I'm about to think that maybe simple is better in this case. Just use the window unit in the companionway until something notably better shows up.

Reply to
cavelamb

They make hatch ac's that specifically replace you front hatch cover. Running lake water or sea water over the existing condensor is probably going to lead to trouble. Might take a few years though in lake water.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Aye.

Those hatch AC's run nearly a grand though.

The little window unit from WalMart was only $88.

Reply to
cavelamb

Because it's not a marine ac.

Reply to