A learning tech, a question about an experiment

Page 2 of 3

wouldn't
is
Orlando
Then you are learning from an IDIOT!!!!!!!!
The test is simple, it takes a day, PERIOD!!!!!!
There is NO week coarse!!!!!!
I'd help, but you think you are better than the respected techs here....

Nope. Ken's a skilled, polite man who likes to teach, and likes to make sure his students learn what he teaches. I'm not an employee -- we're friends. I have an altogether different type of job; hands on, and tools on, but not HVAC.
It's not the 50 questions he's teaching me, it's the trade. He says he wants me to be competent before I rush out and "buy" a certificate. I can go with that. When I end up working for the public, it'll be as a fill-in guy for him, and it'll be under his business license, so it seems reasonable for him to demand that before he cuts me loose.

Less... 'bout a half-hour. Well, OK... a day, if you say so.

Three outfits in O-town offer the "coarse" for about $2500 a pop. Four days of class, and one whole day of testing (tells you what they think of the people taking it, no?).

Nope. I wouldn't have come here asking questions if I thought that. I have better ethics than a couple of the people here have demonstrated, but I don't know more about HVAC, or by their shining examples I would have already stopped trying to learn.
It does seem that a few folks (hopefully very few) think there isn't anything else to learn after you're a master. They are the ones to fear.
LLoyd

Saying that you need a "week course" to get your EPM card is totally different than him wanting you to know what you're doing once you're out in the field.

I never said I _needed_ a week course. I said it was the other option, as opposed to being signed off by a working master, instead of a certificate mill. I also said it was expensive, hoping to imply "compared to what I'd get". I should have made that more clear. I'm a lot more comfortable with what Ken will teach - with all the unplanned pop-up "whys" answered - than I would be with an outfit whose only function is to collect fees and teach answers to a specific test.
When Ken doesn't know an answer, he just says so, instead of inventing one. But he makes me find it out, and tell him what I found. Then he plays devil's advocate and tries to knock it down while he makes me try to defend it.
A cup of bad coffee and an hour in his shop are worth more than a week in Orlando.
LLoyd

Since when, does a working master have to sign off in order for a person to obtain a EPA card?
master bater!
You don't need to go to school, if you have the hours you can challenge a gay multiple choice refrigeration exam.
You idiots think any of you would be certified if the tests were difficult?
HAHA
-Canadian Heat

Noonie you are truly a retarded SOB.

snip
I give him a year and he'll run rings around your ass noonie. He's fine tuning information you never thought to question.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:30:02 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Hold your breath Lloyd and I'll get back with you on that one. Bubba

Looks like you'll be his bitch. lol

Everyone wants a "number". 500 microns is the "industry standard".

At 500 microns water boils at -12F. Depending upon your system ambient an even higher vacuum would remove moisture. Various substances boil at different temperatures (pressures). So what would you think a good vacuum is? One low enough to boil the oil? Or low enough to do the job? Would a 20,000 micron vacuum work?

Regular refrigeration hoses leak. Lots of info on this stuff everywhere.
http://www.robinair.com/acsolutions/acvacuum/acvacuum.php
Look at the chart at which water boils. Think about it.

systems
it
My
and
few
steps
because
in
don't
Lloyd,
Since this is a system you will likely have access to and so refrence as to benchmark performance over many more years to follow, then suggest break down an old gage set and then permanently install them to the system using copper flare....sight gage and external filter is nice, also...
This all because flexible hoses quite often will leak...and so only good for knowing what pressure you have RIGHT NOW..not a hell alotta good after the fact...still no idear where the leak actually is...
That said, and notwithstanding current US laws calling for "low-loss fittings"....*and* NOT advocating anyone should follow suit here...but...well, uhmm...I have a gage I made from an old tire chuck and it has a 0~350 psi. pressure gage...no hose, just a pipe nipple...very compact, fits in my pocket...very little leakage occurs unless your a total fucking nerd and still likely less than is typically lost using a 5 ft flex charging set....oh well, works for me taking quick readings anyways...
Oh, and welcome aboard--tons and tons of knowledge here and actually it's a pretty damned good group once you learn to how navigate around the sharp corners and steep hills and all that shit without fucking ending up crashining.
Cheers,

Don't forget to attach accurate thermometers too

So what do you use for your "quick" temperature readings?? Beer can cold??

Pocket laser.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:51:36 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

lol wot a joke sam. 6:1 aspect ratio. nice. might as well keep a cold 6-pack handy, just for a reference point....
check for calibration by pointing laser at bare skin & taking reading. I have mine calibrated to find the hotties.

Heh...
That's definately a good one
Missed out on the $3.99 multimeter though, last month sale item ....appears it's now back up to $9.99 :
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber020

we pull a vacume for 30 minutes and see if it holds 15 minutes, then charge. lucas
You do that regardless of the size of the system?? or if your doing just the lineset and coil?? or if your doing the entire system?? Do you even own a micron gauge?? Do you install a new filter/drier every time you open up a system??

Why not start using industry standards?
You do that regardless of the size of the system?? or if your doing just the lineset and coil?? or if your doing the entire system?? Do you even own a micron gauge?? Do you install a new filter/drier every time you open up a system?? ------------------------------------- yeah we got all that stuff. biggest hvac co in louisville.