A/C replacement unit, Freon or R410A?

Our 12 year old 3 ton Lennox 10AC series Air conditioner compressor is broken. Our HVAC guy and Armstrong dealer, thinks we should install an Armstrong 213LE unit, 13 Seer, that uses freon, and replace the evaporator coil for the 13 Seer efficiency. We're thinking to replace it with a unit that uses the new R410A aka Puron. Four questions: 1. Does anyone know anything about Armstrong Air conditioners, especially the newer ones that use R410A? 2. Are the R410A type units any more complicated regarding maintenance? 3. Since we are in the midwest where we only use the air conditioner about 2.5 months a year, should we buy the minimum 13 Seer or go up any higher in efficiency? 4.. We were just told that in addition to the evaporator coil, we are now going to have to replace the copper pipe leading from the furnace to the air conditioner because it previously had freon in it. Is this really necessary, and if we don't do it, will it cancel out the warranty? We have overnight guests coming and its really hot upstairs. Please help!
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:07:50 -0700, momq's

Too too damn funny. Bubba

Armstrong is same company that makes Lennox.

ROFLMAO :))
--
Zyp

"Jeffrey Lebowski" <The snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Huh ?
<G>

Amstrong = junk

nope
Dunno, maybe ask a local *competent* tech

yep, maybe

Had to wait until the very last minute... thats gotta suck.

Where in the midwest?
momq's wrote:

Just tell her it's too hot for clothes. Of course if you have or take any pix they must be posted here.
My opinion to momq's

Personally I don't know however basic of refrigeration does not change

Not really however they do run with much higher pressures and are much more expansive to repair.

If you are to purchase new one I guess it would make sense more efficient one.

Incorrect if in good shape piping is unnecessary to change

Not necessarily that depend on your installer

"...don't know..." and that's exactly why you need to stop here, shut the fuck up and quit advising people about hvac installs and repairs when you have absolutely NO qualifications whatsoever as you have plainly informed us all of. Bubba

Hello BUbba are you having problems I am sorry I am sure you will have better days but then again if you have some and I say some qualifications you would not have any problems wouldn't you. Tony

I thought the inconsistent misspellings was retarded and an act.
You must be the retarded version of weasel.
--
http://michellemalkin.com /

I love you to

Queer

Then why are your posts so far off track all the time????????
travisozment had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-A-C-replacement-unit-Freon-or-R410A-24118-.htm : 1. i would not want to deal with anything but icp products.i guess i am biased because i am a distributor.parts are easier to deal with in the future because you can use a ot more universal cheaper parts. 2.no not any more maintenance whatsoever. 3.you get your biggest savings by going with 13 seer from 10 seer.anything bigger is more for better warranty and comfort level.icp makes units that if they leak or compressor fails you get a new unit one time.(ICP meaning comfortmaker tempstar arcoaire keepright hiel) 4. that does depend on the installer.I think that we are going to have issues with not being able to change these lines in some cases.If you can you should.The oils hate each other from r22 vs 410a.But if you can not you have to do the best you can.There is a company in my town who has used 410a for years and never changes lines unless compressor burnout. They blow them out with nitrogen using very high pressure on the old coil.then change out coil and condensor.------------------------------------- Tony wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25003 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##