Yucca Plant

Hi I recently bought a yucca plant. I dont know if i am watering it too much. Does anyone know how often you should water indoor plants at this time of year? Thank you
amanda wrote:

I have a large yucca, and they seem to be very thirsty. It's about 4 foot tall and is in a 5 gallon pot, and I often pour in a whole pint of water which it seems to asorb entirely. Aparently you should water a lot occasionally, not a little bit every day because they do like to dry out in between watering. You'll get used to your plants over time, I know mine needs one pint of water twice a week and feeding once a month, but the size of your's means it won't be the same.
Oh, and if you can it would prefer to be in a bathroom or kitchen for higher humidity, perhaps even a humidity tray under it would help? You can easily make your own with gravel on a plate. -- Bry ------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
On 17 Oct 2003 03:09:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (amanda) opined:

I have not been successful with yucca indoors, but I can tell you that outside in the 150 degree sun of Texas I never water them and the tiny one plant has about ten huge pups which need to be divided off the mom. I water my indoor plants when I see them start to wilt a bit. More house plants die from over watering than any other things, combined.
Victoria
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (amanda) wrote:

Yucca is a hardy succulent. You can water it whenever you want. It will tolerate very infrequent watering like in the desert southwest and thrive with frequent watering like in the rainy northeast. If you don't want it to grow much, then you can water about once a month. Make sure that the soil dries out between waterings.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
The Yucca commonly grown as an indoor plant, Yucca elephantipes, is native to southern Mexico to Central America and is not at all a cold hardy species.
Yucca are best considered to be xerophytic plants. They are adapted to dry conditions but are not at all succulent.

If you bought a Yucca to be grown as an indoor plant, you probably have Yucca elephantipes.
The major problem with growing this plant is giving it enough light, especially in the winter. A south or southwestern exposure is necessary.
In the winter, watering it thoroughly once a month is sufficient. It is a xerophytic plant, so it requires far less water than most "house plants".

My Yucca has grown over a foot in the last year in a very bright eastern window. Since this is the first I have eer had I am wondering now based on your comments Ceroeoid - would it grow faster in a southern window? I don't plan on moving because there are other plants that I need to have in the south window but just curious?

You don't want the plant to grow "fast". If Yucca don't receive enough light, the new growth will be weak long slender stems with pale leaves and very susceptible to disease.
An east facing window is not as bright as you assume. You may want to check with a light meter to see for yourself.

I believe it is not as bright as a south window. However, it is very healthy with a strong stem. New growth is always very green - no signs of etiolation. I will watch it carefully and if I notice it losing colour. Thanks for your comments. You do know your plants - glad you're around to help us all out!! Tina : )