Yucca planting

Need some advice

We have yucca that grows here wild in South Dakota; I am looking at digging some up on a friends land and transplanting them in my area. Do they transplant easily? I have heard they are pretty hardy. They are going from a reddish colored soil to regular brown soil. There is lotsa sun and little water. Any advice for me?

Thanks Dan

Reply to
DRE

Many types of yucca transplant fairly easily - sometimes if you yank off an offset (a side clump to the main clump) and stick it on some moist but quick draining soil, it will root in fairly quickly, especially if you get a few of its own already developed roots when you yank it up. If you are digging up a main plant, I would try to moisten the soil and get as much of the root as possible, as well as the dirt around it - preferably all in one large shovelful. Make sure that you put the plant somewhere well-drained - yuccas prefer drier, sandier, well-drained soil and usually will not make it in moist clayey soils that stay wet or damp all the time. If you have that kind of soil, I would probably make a pile of sand, gravel and dirt on top of your existing soil, making a mound six inches or so higher than the main level of soil, so that you can put the yucca there where excess water will drain away.

Reply to
gregpresley

Yeah, I like yucca too. I've transplanted a lot of them. Don't transplant them any place you plan to do a lot of yard work. They can draw blood when they stick you. When they're dry the points are pretty hard, but if you keep them well watered they're a little softer. I have a bunch of the regular white-blooming(Adam's Needle) yucca, and one plant of the pink-blooming yucca. The pink-blooming one isn't mature yet, so I haven't seen it blooming yet, but it looked neat in the pictures.

Reply to
The Watcher