Wonder what this weed is?

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.
http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg
Frank wrote:

Where is it? I see a grassy bank. We need a close-up of the whole plant and preferably also of any seed or flower heads. Your location in the world would help too.
David

Northern Delaware USA. About a foot tall. I was just messing with the tinypic site and having loaded picture, thought I might as well post here and ask question.
I've been trying to eradicate it and may concentrate on it next summer. Had been working on ivy for the bank for years but discovered that deer eat it but not this weed. It completely covers my neighbors back yard and he cuts it like grass. I think my pre-emergent for crabgrass keeps it down but not completely and broadleaf herbicide does not touch it.
On 12/17/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

I don't get any picture with that link at all; just a plain white page, no error message?
On 12/18/2011 4:25 PM, Nelly W wrote:

On 12/18/2011 6:00 PM, Frank wrote:

I use IE8 & have Kaspersky IS; there have been times I've wondered the latter is doing its job a bit too well....

I'm on a client machine with IE8 right now and am refused access to the picture by the company. Will have to check on my machine.
Frank said:

Can't tell too much from the picture, but here is an aggressive, invasive grass that you'd want to hope it isn't (but it could be):
Japanese Stilt Grass http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/japanstgrass.htm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 12/19/2011 7:52 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Thanks. That has to be it as rest of description at site fits. Looks like physical control (pulling) is only real option I have as glyphosphate would harm grass or surrounding ground cover. As neighbors on three sides in back do nothing to control it, they would be seed source even if all mine was removed.
For years, I thought it was shading out ivy from growing on banks until I discovered deer were the problem.
Frank

See I repeated myself about the deer. Deer season is all I think about in the fall and wife won't let me touch those that invade us.-
Knowing what this stuff is now, I may vary my premerg campaign in the back yard to weed and feed instead of premerg in the spring. Crabgrass is not as much a threat in the back as in the front.
Frank said:

Too bad, that. Venison, properly handled, is very good eating, and close to home would be so convenient...
Part of what makes some of these alien plants so invasive is that the deer pass them up to browse the natives.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

Right now, I've got two small venisons in the freezer but could use more ;)
Interesting point about alien plants. I spoke to one of the states chief game wardens the other day and he mentioned that getting invasive fragamites (sic) out of the marshes gets the deer to dine more on native vegetation in the marsh and avoid the fields and dry lands where the hunters are.
In message

Phragmites?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

On Dec 20, 1:20pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes, thanks, I do not have a spell checker on this computer.
I had a hunting day in a marsh last week and encountered a wall of phragmites on my way to the deer stand. The refuge had not been able to complete the path to the stand because of water and I had to walk about 100 yards in about 6 inches of water to get to the stand. The phragmites were about 8 ft tall. In the stand, past the phragmites, the marsh grass was only 1-2 feet tall and I could see for over a mile. No deer but I did see a fox a couple of hundred yards away.